KX 60 vrs KX65 and Lowering Kit Question

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I'm just getting into this and looking for a bike for my son. What is the difference between these two bikes (other than motor size). Is the seat height the same? Did they stop making the 60 when they started making the 65 or doe Kaw still make both.
I am looking at a 2001 KX60. Interested in any comments good or bad. Also interested if anyone used the BARR? lowering kit and if it was OK?

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I sold a 2001 kx60 FOR 1100.00 I did try the bergracing linkage for lowering and raising the bike it worked very well. We now have a 2003 KX65 I think the 60 was just as fast but the handling, brakes and suspension are better on the 65. But if you need to get a short rider on a very fast bike try the 60 with the linkage the new 65's are pretty tall stock.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you can buy the lowering link direct from Kawasaki for the 65. It lowers seat height about 1" from stock. Then slide the forks up and you have about 1.75 inches lower than stock. Right about where the kx60 is. Suspension is better on the KX65 but is comes set up for a heavier rider. If you kid is a lightweight you'll need lighter springs on both ends. I seem to remember the 65 comes set up for about an 80lbs rider.
I know the 60's go cheap! I have an 02 KX65 with lowering kit. Forks and shock revalved for a 60 lbs kid with lighter springs both front and rear. Raced 1 season for $2200. Getting a Cobra DC65! Mine wouldn't really be for you economical since you live in BEND OR because it would be another $200 for shipping. I think you could find something up near portland or Vancouver because there is a lot of racing at Washougal. Thats only a few hours away? If your going to race MX then do yourself a favor and just start on the 65. If racing isn't your goal then grab a 60 and just have fun.

Double J

Jul 14, 2003
Hey Guy's, first post here. I just bought my 7-year old an 02 KX60 and he's just a little to short this year to hold it up after coming to a stop. How much will a Bergracing Lowering Link lower the bike and are they worth money, for $90 bucks seems alittle pricey.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well the confidence being able to touch the ground give a kid really cannot be measured. But I'd buy one off ebay. berg actually sells them there once in a while. closer to $60 there. But lowering the bike a bit really helps. Also lower the forks in the triple clamps too. It will make the bike turn in easier and lower the front.

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
i bought a '93 kx 60 in washington state for $800 and it came with a ported cylinder and everything to replace the top end. a good deal if your on a tight budget and your kid doesn't race, or just getting started.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't all the kx 60 the same since they went to water cooling. doesn't seem like there is a lot of difference.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
no they are different. First the kx65 has a 2mm larger bore. But the ports and water passages are different. You should be able to sell it on ebay pretty easily though.

80dad

Dec 7, 2002
on lowering the kx65 using the factory links the bike we have has a 85.3 long link wich is the shortest kawasaki offers a longer rod of 88.3 is the longest one that kawasaki offers. is this the one we need or is what we have going to make it the lowest already thanks for the help

KTM Shorty

Jun 20, 2002
I went on to the Berg Racing web-site. They only show a link for the KX 60. Does anyone know if they have one available for the KX 65? If so, what is the maximum amount the seat height can be lowered? I found a lowering linkage from Koubalink.com that brinks the seat down 2" , but it is not adjustable. It would be great to have an adjustable link so the bike can "grow" with the rider.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
have not seen one for the 65, I got ours from kawasaki. lowers the rear about an inch. with the forks dropped it ended up being about 1.75"
The cobra DC65 comes stock with an adjustable rear shock about 1.5" of adjustment. Also marks on the forks every 1/4". Loving it so far

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
Just got our 5 yr. old an 03 KX 65 and had same problems.  Devol lowering linkage  ($65), lower triple clamps and cut out a good inch of seat foam.  Perfect fit and he loves it. 

Bill Wright

Apr 15, 2003
I picked my 6 year old up an 01 KX65 that is in really good shape. He is racing in the 50 cc class and is now practicing on the KX. It is a little tall for him but he has adjusted to it. He slides his rear over and can hold the bike up without a problem. He can start it on his own but it does take him a bit. The older KX65's have a smaller from and a shorter seat height. Anything new is too tall for him. He is transitioning nicely. I looked at the 60 but he will be racing in the 50 and 65 class next year and the 65 seems like a much better race bike. I am in Canada and payed 2k Canadian for the bike. Seemed like a good deal. He is riding it almost everyday and I really appreciate the maintenance routine compared to the KTM LC 50...

I was thinking about lowering it but since he is doing OK I will leave it as is.

bill

Top Bottom