Is front tire PSI sposed to be the same as back tire PSI?

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
Just wondering if the PSI range for the front tire is supposed to be the same as my back tire for my KX 250. The manual says tire pressure min. is 11 PSI and max. is 14, but it doesn't specifiy which tire it is for.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Rocks are a real threat to flattening a tire. I use super heavy duty tubes, and often go as high as 15lbs in the rocks.....and 12lbs when not rocky. I'm a woods rider though, where the terrain often has small sharp impacts, and we're often far from the truck, and I like to play it safe.

Feb 17, 2005
presure requirements are depending on the tires compound (hardness) and riding conditions. Also both tires dont need to be at the same pressure...

Generally... running too low of a pressure will cause more flats from tube pinching and will lead to tired and cracked rims. And too much pressure will provide less traction and cause the wheels to skip around. Its easier to get away with lower pressures out back than it is up front.

The best way to find what pressure is best for you is to use the "rim clean" method. When you hit bumps the tire rolls over the rim somewhat. Depending on the air pressure and the hardness of the tire as well as the hardness of the ground is how much "rim clean" you will get. "Rim clean" is the clean spot to the outside of the rim where the tire contacts it. The tire pressure should be adjusted so that the proper amount of "rim clean " is visable. 4mm of "rim clean" is what you should shoot for. A hard tire might need 16 PSI and a soft tire might need only 8 to acheive 4mm of rim clean.

I find alot of riders just use 12 PSI front and rear. Thats a good standard setting for most dirt and tires in most conditions. Its not fine tuning by all means but its a safe pressure in the middle of all ranges and a good starting point. I even heard of alot of pro riders falling into the 12 PSI preset habbit.

Last edited:

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
In addition I want to say that it depends also on your weight.
I ride bike which weights 110 kg plus 72kg of my own.
I pump 14PSI to the front and rear as well.
It gives a good traction but stones are not damaging the rim.

Top Bottom