slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Ive gotta rejet my bike. I did the ole put the same jets my buddies have trick and it just doesnt pan out. What jets do you think I should pick up today so I can run all my options. Stock is 32.5 and 380 I believe.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Waht is your altitude and what's the weather like? What is the bike running like now? Where in the rev range do you need to change the way the bike is running?

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
sea level to 1000 ft above. About 50-80 degrees. NorCal typical fall/winter. Its smokin and cloggin, foulin and spittin. Bottom ends ugly and top ends suffocated. Strang thing is it ran good up until a month ago with current jetting.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I would recomend going leaner on the pilot(30), top clip on the needle and to a 390 on the main for your altitude.

Erik

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I think bedell's right, definitely lean it up, especially the pilot. I know at our altitude (5500-6000) they are very sensitive to jetting, especially on the pilot and the needle. Not to beat a dead horse, but have you checked the adjustment on the powervalve cables recently? They can get sloppy quick and that might account for some of the change on the top end as well. Let us know what the results are.

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
How about ballparking some numbers for me? 4500-5500ft, 45-55 degrees, bottom to mid is NOT crisp and splooge everywhere.

TIA,
Andrew

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Andrew

30 pilot, between 1 1/2 to 2 turns out
Bey30-76 needle in 2nd clip
340-350 main

I run Sunoco 100 octane race gas at 40:1, In the summer I used a 340 main and put the clip in 1st position. My jetting is about as perfect as ypu can get on this bike. I live in Denver and race between 5000-6000 ft. I use Mobil Mx2t oil. Never any spooge, very clean plug. My bike is stock. (Only 1 more week of racing and it is off to Eric Gorr for my Christmas present to myself)

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I'm running a little leaner, maybe it's the desert air! :confused: same needle and notch, 25 pilot, 1 turn out, 330 main, maybe the pipe and reeds made it run a little richer.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
It has to be the pipe and reeds. I would definetely seize up with those numbers and the temps right now. Bike is running great. Beef I also run oxygenated gas so that might have something to do with the good plug reading I get. Hope this helps all of ya.

Erik

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
This should help. The leaner pilot & air screw adj should help it idle some, right? Hey bedell, I just pulled my motor out last night and will be sending it to Eric sometime this week :) I guess that will shoot these numbers to pieces when I get it back.. Oh well! Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.

-Andrew

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
One more thing (and for some reason the forum won't let me edit my previous posts), doesn't the oxygenated race gas call for leaner jetting as opposed to pump (91-94 Octane) gas?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
NO oxygenated gas calls out for a bit richer jetting. The reason I have been running race gas is the pump gas here contains 10% ethanol. As most people know here ethanol sucks for a two stroke engine. As for the temps we have been hovering around 40-45. I'm curious to see how the jetting will be affected when I get my engine done by Mr. Gorr. I have 2 races next weekend and I go into hibernation for the month of January. I'm also of thinking of getting a rad valve, but to be honest this bike has treated me well. The only thing I disliked about it was the jetting.

Erik

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
if you cant seem to get rid of the rich smoking mixture with just changing the normal jets (main needle and pilot)do a search on the s-8 nozzle i put one in my 2002 cr250 and if made a huge improvment i live at sea level and run pump gas even with the s-8 nozzle you will still have to rejet but at least the bike will respond to jetting changes when my bike was stock i tried even the leanest pilot and the bike would still want to foul a plug if you rode the bike at closed -3/8 throttle for just a few seconds

dodgeaspen

Dec 11, 2002
my 02 250 is a jetting nightmare! My spudders and spits on the bottom horribly. My latest problem is that when I start the bike it is automaticly loaded up even after totally cleaning it out it before shutting it off. I'm thinking that this could be possibly the float level and not just the jetting. I'm currently running a 30pilot and a 390main at 0-1000 ft. What kind of oils/ratios are you guys running?

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
slickpuss

Beef706 helped me alot jetting mine so I would take his advice. The thing I found was you just have to play with the jets one circuit at a time until you fine tune it. I started at the bottom on the low end (this is where this bike suffers) and work your way through. I also played with different premix until it ran good.

My jetting:
  • 30 pilot
  • 1st clip stock needle
  • 390 main
  • 2 turns air screw
  • HP2 synthetic/C12 VP racing fuel 32:1
Also have a VForce reed cage. This is the only mod to the engine.
Hope this helps. I am also at sea level so that makes a difference. :thumb:
When I first got it I ran like everybody else, Spooge dripping, sputtering, fouling, and everything else you guys said. Now with these settings it runs very crisp right off the bottom and no fouling or spooge. The race gas and premix helped too.

Last edited:

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
AS for the S8 nozzle there a quite a few good threads on the subject. It will lean out the bike in the low and middle circuits. The nozzle is also refered to the needle jet. It is what the main jet screws into. The part # for the nozzle is a yamaha part for a yz125 mikuni carb:

3TC-14141-s8-00

I've heard good things about this jet especially for people who run in the lower rpm ranges. It is approximetely $20 and you can obtain it from any yamaha dealership.

Erik
2002 cr250

dodgeaspen

Dec 11, 2002
I just ordered an s8 nozzle. I was told to start my jetting at:
400 main, 35 pilot and stock needle in the third position. Anybody agree/disagree??

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the main sounds about right i run a 410 in the cold temps (40-65)and 390-400 in summer but i bet you might have to still lean out the bottom end with a smaller pilot (30-32.5) and maybe go to the second clip on the needle but try what you stated first and see how it runs

Bruster

Feb 19, 2002
Dodgeaspen, the 35 pilot is a richer pilot. It sounds like you want to go leaner.
A 30 pilot perhaps?
Also get needle 6BEY30-76 Honda # 16206-KZ3-L22. This is a leaner needle and will help get you started in the right direction.
I have messed with all of these needles and jets. By far the best mod I made was shaving the slide 2mm. Cleaned up the off idle performance in a big way. Just a thought.
Good luck and keep us posted.

dodgeaspen

Dec 11, 2002
The real strange thing about the bike is that when I bought it was bad but now it is even worse. I do a lot of hare scrambles which have "dead engine" starts and when I start the bike to take off it is extremly loaded up. It just started doing this recently. I assumed it was the float height but that is fine. I just hope these mods help!

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
Have you checked to see if your reeds are chipped, cracked or lifted? This will cause poor performance throughout the rev range but most noticeably at low RPM. Since the bike ran decent and then started running poorly, you need to see what has changed. Jetting won't change on it's own. :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom