71mustang

Jan 23, 2003
What kind of a jetting problem would cause the engine to die when opening the throttle from idle to wide open with the bike in neutral?

It makes a weird wwwwaaaahhhh sound and then dies if you hold the throttle open, if you close it quickly it usaually stays running.

It doesn't do it if you open the throttle slowly, only at a medium speed or faster.

Thanks.

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
sounds like either your plug is fouled or you are running to rich air/fuel mixture try replacing the plug first. look at your old plug to determine if you are running rich or lean. try leaning or richening the mixture by changing the jet sizes and changing the clip position on your needle. But if I had to guess you are running rich...... This is just a guess!

71mustang

Jan 23, 2003
The plug and filter are brand new. I kind of think it is lean, because it does it worse after it warms up. I have tried changing the main jet and clip position, but can't get the problem fixed.

Could it be the pilot jet or the slide cutaway?

Thanks

Cody

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Does it run at full throttle when open slowly?If not,check your carb float level,then check your reeds.the reeds might be worn out.Check all the basics first then maybe dive into reeds.

71mustang

Jan 23, 2003
The reason I thought it was lean is because if you turn the air screw all the way in the bike won't idle, but has better throttle response.

The bike seems to run well at about every throttle position and the plug looks ok.

It just tries to die if you open the throttle from idle or off-idle with it in neutral or while riding.

Thanks

Top Bottom