RS250

Mar 7, 2007
Hi
Just looking to see if there is any thing I should watch for on my 74
Tm250. It still has the injection system on it. The guy I bought it from did take off the oil to the top end. Then pre-mix the gas at 50:1. It's a very complete bike with Works shocks on it. Just looking for more info to know about the bike. I'm going to race it in local ARHMA races here. Thanks guys.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
The "Challenger," and the 400 was the "Cyclone". but what would you like to know. The 250 was a much better effort than the death trap 400 and I say that from experience.

RS250

Mar 7, 2007
I guess I like to know if there is any tricks to make them handle better. My friend has a 75 kx250 and said the kx and tm are very close on power. The only thing he told me is they don't turn as good as the Euro bike of the time. Just looking to if any thing can be done.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Well there isnt much you can do unless you wanna spend big bucks,like say a C&J frame(if they even made one). The big diffrence between the early Japanese MX and the Euro bikes was the handling. And bikes like Husky's Maico's etc used real Cro-Mo frames where the Japanese used conduit or water pipe? I know they flexed and hopped around like a rabbit in heat.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In the late '70s I had a '73 TM250 that was raced by Mark Blackwell. It had Boge Mulholland shocks, and the bottom shock mounts were moved forward to be directly below the top mounts, providing about 6.5" of wheel travel. The swingarm was beautifully reinforced and braced to accomodate the new shock mounts. The bike had the oil injection removed. It also had a very trick aluminum tank, a T&M Engineering pipe, and Akront rims with heavy spokes.

It was a fun bike - wish I still had it! It was not a great handler, but it handled better than my buddy's TM100 with Skunk Works 11" rear travel kit and stock shocks!

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Mark Blackwell, now there was a rider. He taught at the Suzuki School of MX and I had the luck of being there(1978,Carlsbad). Mark just flowed on the bike

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
RS250 said:
I guess I like to know if there is any tricks to make them handle better.

Are you looking for this bike to be competitive?

It's an antique. Something to be raced at vintage races and marveled at on the off days.

If the bike is original and in good condition, keep it that way.

RS250

Mar 7, 2007
It's all there. Just took it out yesterday for the first time. With my tm and my buddys 75 KX 250 we had alot of people looking at the bikes. They are very clean.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
CaptainObvious said:
It's an antique. Something to be raced at vintage races and marveled at on the off days.

If the bike is original and in good condition, keep it that way.

:nod:

For mods, how about a fork brace and some good after-market rear shocks (which it sounds like it already has)?

Do you have any pictures you could post?

Although they were not the hottest bike of their time, I always lusted after the TM's. They just looked so cool!

Top Bottom