rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
background

I am running a 32:1 ratio, and I am not sure of what the oil the guy b4 me used. when I got the machine it had a 1/2 tank. I changed the plug and it was jetted great.

I borrowed some motul(sp) oil from my buddy and mixed it at 32:1

but here is the question.....

if the bike is jetted for a 32:1 mix on traditional 2-stroke oil would it run leaner if a fully synthetic 2-stroke oil mixed at the same ratio(32:1)?

I haven't had time to look at the plug yet. and will not until friday.( I keep my toys at my parents place)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
This is a question that can be answered with a check of the archives (please). Do a quick search and you will get hundreds of answers.

However, the bottom line is....run a consistant ratio with the same oil. 32:1 is good.

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Ok, I'm not the top guru on this subject but let me say this...... The oil/ratio mix does not effect the way the carb is jetted. Meaning, if you run 32:1 or 50:1 the bike does not run richer or leaner, yes the bike will run "Richer" "More" oil if you run 32:1 instead of 50:1. When it comes to the jetting in the carb. the smaller the jets the leaner it will run. Smaller the jet the less fuel the motor will receive but, the amount of "air" volume is not changed, therefore, the bike runs leaner. Bikes can also run richer and leaner depending on the weather, for example, on a hot muggy day, the bike will run "Richer" due to the air is heavy, thick, dense call it what you may. Now, on a clear and cold day, the bike will run "Leaner" more air. Think of our own body, when we have a cold and our nose is all clogged, like a dirty air filter we have a hard time breathing, less air! Back to oil / ratio mix, more oil is NOT always a good thing, oil actually holds the heat and the fuel is the coolant. Yes, oil keeps the friction down and thus holds down heat build up, but at the same time is holding the heat. There is a very fine line with oil mixes. too much is bad and too little is bad. I,m sure this can be picked apart but I'm trying to hit on the surface and not go on and on like I'm already doing. Mix at 40:1, clean the "Air" filter and go riding!!!!

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
CZ511 said:
Ok, I'm not the top guru on this subject but let me say this...... The oil/ratio mix does not effect the way the carb is jetted.

You are correct, you are not the "top guru" on this subject :laugh:

Your explanation of jets, and how they affect the various circuits is correct, but the fuel/premix ratio DOES effect the mixture as well. The greater the volume of oil in the fuel, the leaner the bike will run. So a 20:1 ratio will yield a leaner mixture than a 50:1 ratio.

Like I said, choose a mixture and stick with it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
CZ511 said:
Ok, I'm not the top guru on this subject but let me say this...... The oil/ratio mix does not effect the way the carb is jetted. Meaning, if you run 32:1 or 50:1 the bike does not run richer or leaner, yes the bike will run "Richer" "More" oil if you run 32:1 instead of 50:1. When it comes to the jetting in the carb. the smaller the jets the leaner it will run. Smaller the jet the less fuel the motor will receive but, the amount of "air" volume is not changed, therefore, the bike runs leaner. Bikes can also run richer and leaner depending on the weather, for example, on a hot muggy day, the bike will run "Richer" due to the air is heavy, thick, dense call it what you may. Now, on a clear and cold day, the bike will run "Leaner" more air. Think of our own body, when we have a cold and our nose is all clogged, like a dirty air filter we have a hard time breathing, less air! Back to oil / ratio mix, more oil is NOT always a good thing, oil actually holds the heat and the fuel is the coolant. Yes, oil keeps the friction down and thus holds down heat build up, but at the same time is holding the heat. There is a very fine line with oil mixes. too much is bad and too little is bad. I,m sure this can be picked apart but I'm trying to hit on the surface and not go on and on like I'm already doing. Mix at 40:1, clean the "Air" filter and go riding!!!!
:ohmy:
Wow! There are so many things wrong with this that it's impossible to straighten out. The only thing left out was that the earth is flat and riding near the edges will make the bike run leaner than riding near the middle.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
rxraptor02 said:
background

if the bike is jetted for a 32:1 mix on traditional 2-stroke oil would it run leaner if a fully synthetic 2-stroke oil mixed at the same ratio(32:1)?

.( I keep my toys at my parents place)

thanks for the answers, but I was looking for this question to be answered. I have searched and found the info that you guys have stated.

I just wanted to know about running the synthetic 2-stroke oil at 32:1 compared to a old traditional 2-stroke oil at 32:1

if the bike is jetted for 32:1 would both gas/oil ratios burn the same in the bike? if I mixed a gallon of each in a separate container then I did a plug check for each oil would the plug look the same ? ...the test would have to be on a dyno so all the testing factors are the same for each test...

the reason I asked is because I just bought the bike and I forgot what oil the guy said he used, but it was jetted for 32:1. I just want to use a good synthetic oil and if I use a synthetic oil mixed at the 32:1 will that be ok

thanks
-Jim

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Jet for the oil brand and ratio that you will run. Anything else is guess work.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Oil seals the rings to the cylinder, a better seal transfers the heat to the outside of the cylinder to the coolant.
I have never heard that oil retains heat and gas is the coolant, please forward some reading material on this.

I do know, especially with outboards and chain saws, that the companies will run lots of oil to get that magic higher HP number.In everyday running the oil level is reduced to accommate partial throttle settings and to reduce fouling, everything is a bit of a comprimise.

I run 32:1, no problems.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
rv6junkie said:
Jet for the oil brand and ratio that you will run. Anything else is guess work.

thanks that was the kind of info I was looking for.

will different brands vary that much with jetting?

thanks
-Jim

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yes. I'm old school, so I use to use Golden Spectral. When I started using synthetic oil (Mobil MX2T) I had to change my pilot jet. The main and needle seemed fine. You mileage may vary :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You can read various pondering over changes to fuel viscosity (brought about by use of different oils) and how air/fuel ratios are effected.

In the end what RV6 said will indeed suit you most well.......jet using your bike, oil, ratio and fuel. Anything else is indeed guesswork.

Top Bottom