KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
This is my review of my KDX.

The first thing you should Know, is that mine is a 2003 KDX200. This bike is awesome and is a great woods bike. I also race mine at the local track in the 250C class, and I do pretty good.

The KDX is definately made for trails, but can be used in either place. When riding a KDX, it feels like your inside the bike, rather than on top of it, as with a MX'er 250/125. I believe this is a reputation that Kawi has with their bikes. The stock handlebars are really low, and bend fairly easily. Even with them really far forward, and the mounts reversed. The KDX seems to feel wide, and not as nimble as a MX bike. It has a wide seat. Compared to a MX bike, they are REALLY nimble in the woods, but have a lot of power, are really loud, and a harsh suspension. The stock suspeneion on the KDX's are ultra soft in the front, and perfect for a 180 lb rider in the rear. (The front is for roughly a 130 lb rider.) The KDX's Seat is also wicked soft.

The first mod that is MANDITORY is that you ditch the airbox lid. The KDX's come jetted rich from the factory. The mods that I would reccomend for this bike are Reeds, PC/FMF pipe of your chice (PC/FMF Gnarly Desert for 250 like power, or a PC Platinum2/FNF Gnarly Woods pipe for tractor-like pulling power like a thumper.) PC/FMF Silencer of your choice, Stiffer seat foam, and CR High Bend Handlebars. Also, if sound is not an issue to you, you can cut down the canister, and the inside piece to right before the second mount for a better sound. (just like a 250.) An aftermarket pipe will also make your bike a tiny bit louder.

Total Mods: (for the mods I have/ the ones that are listed)

Boyesen Pro Seires Reeds $40
FMF Power Core 2 Silencer $100
Pro Circuit Platunim Pipe $180
Tag 1 1/8" Bar Mounts $50
Renthal Fatbars in Copper (CR High Bend) $75
Ditching, or drilling holes in the Air Box lid $Free
Race Tech rear shock spring (5.2) $90
FRP Front fork Springs (4.2) $60

Other Mods that are worth the money:

03/04 KX 125/250 Front Fender $20
Maier MX Rear Fender $50
95/96 Suzuki 125/250 front number plate $28
Grips of your choice $15
MSR/Moose lever set (with the rubber grips) $20

Whats Hot

Awesome pulling power for the woods.
Great bike to learn how to ride on.
Big 2.9 gallon gas tank
Wide Footpegs
Excellent brakes
Bike Starts very easily

What's Not

Ultra cushony seat
Very soft suspension in the front
Bike is jetted extra rich
Bike feels plugged up with the stock silencer
Feels like your inside the bikes vs. on top
Ultra low handlebars
Bike feels kind of wide

Overall... The kdx is a GREAT bike, despite the bad things I dont like about it.

Let me know what u think of this review. if anyone has any other opinions or reviews, please post them.

:thumb:

Jonathan :aj:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
hmm... your right,, both of ya.. did forget those. :thumb:

If anyone wants to write a review on there bike, or what mods they have and how they affects, and ho wmuch they are... PLEASE DO! :yeehaw:

junior224466

Jun 4, 2003
Nice review.

Were the bar mounts universal or were they made for the kdx? If they were universal, did you have to buy anything else to get a proper mount on the triple clamp?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
nope! They are almost like "semi universal". Any bar mount that is made to be used with the "rubber" cones (can also be switched to the metal ones) will work. TAG isnt the only company that makes them. I believe pro taper or renthal does too. But my dealer had the TAG,a nd it didn tmatter to me what they were, as long as they work good.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
I love my KDX, but with the money spent on getting the bike to top performance, would it have been better to just buy a KTM which is already loaded. I'm loyal, but was looking for assurance that maybe a loaded KDX is better than a stock KTM 300 EXC. This should probably be a separate post, sorry.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
gjc32 said:
I love my KDX, but with the money spent on getting the bike to top performance, would it have been better to just buy a KTM which is already loaded. I'm loyal, but was looking for assurance that maybe a loaded KDX is better than a stock KTM 300 EXC. This should probably be a separate post, sorry.

To me, that's kind of subjective. If you're talking bottom line who's going to get to the finish line first and both riders are equal, my logic says, barring no one making a mistake, the KTM gets the nod. Its already got all the bells and whistles, weighs about the same, and has an extra 80-100 cc's. Now the fun part is that people make mistakes and being in the dirt, there's lots of uncertainty there. Lots, maybe most, of it boils down to the rider.

How about performance per $? Let's say you got your KDX new for $3900 OTD. A new 300 EX/C lists for $6398 so figuring a sale, how about $6300 OTD? That's a $2400 difference. $2400 buys lots of modifications. If you bought yours used and it was in good shape, you even have a larger difference. If you modify what are the KDX's weak spots for you, you have a pretty cool bike then, right?

Besides, it's fun being the underdog. :thumb:

Best,
Greg

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Don't forget that for the eastern woods,rocks, even the KTM has to have the suspension done over $$$$$.

For the money you can't beat the KDX. Last year a friend bought a new KDX200 for $3450.00 cash deal. :worship:

Top Bottom