Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
My family & I were @ KM on Memorial Day weekend. The trails were closed then, but are open now... Probably still a lot of snow in the higher elevations.

There is a water spigot by every out house, but not every camp pad.

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
Farmer John. What did you take up there? Truck/tent, camper, RV? I am looking at the map right now and it's not looking real promising for my 33' RV. Thanks

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
CRF_Tom said:
Farmer John. What did you take up there? Truck/tent, camper, RV? I am looking at the map right now and it's not looking real promising for my 33' RV. Thanks

I took a truck & a tent. I have seen bigger than 33' up there, but you had better have a big motor & even bigger brakes. 9 mile canyon is a little steep.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Eddie: sorry about your situation. Do you want me to bring any F. McClintock or Moe's BBQ sauce for you or anyone else to try?

CRF_Tom: across the road from Fish Creek Camp there is what they call an overflow area; no water and primitive camping but plenty of room for your 33'-er, same with Troy Mdws Overflow - lots of room for ya but no water within. Both have connecting trails to the regular campsites where the rest of us stay where there is water available. There is no fee for the overflows, and a permit is needed for campfires, etc. You might want to call the Kennedy Mdws. general store and see if they will let you fill up there/then. And the downhill of 9-Mile Canyon is steep and a loooooooonnnnnnng ways down not only on the pavement but over the side.

Chris: thanks - I have plenty of oil at the moment although I could use a Keihin (sp) PWK 38 pilot and 138 main for the KDX as I am at the end of my available brass, if you could - it would be appreciated.

Son #2 somehow got off of work so he and I will be there early-to-mid afternoon Friday. My intent is to do a bike loop around and beyond Bonita Mdws (drive there to unload near Sherman Pass) and do some fishing nearby afterwards, then back to camp at Fish Creek Campground for both nights. Plans for early Saturday is to (drive to a convenient point and unload and) do a Beach/Horse/Albanita/Blk Mtn./Monache Mdw. loop and maybe late afternoon fishing if Friday was productive. Then leave early Sunday morn. Anyone is welcome to join us; we'd be doing a moderate but not elevated pace and no exploring/adventure.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
So is the Crew doing the Fish Creek site again this year? Ill have the teenagers riding and the wife in tow along with the two brothers, their family and group of friends. They seem to have this passion with the Troy campground so Ill probably be up that way but I would sure like to share a fire some night if you guys dont mind. I think my riding will involve riding with the teenage son and adult daughter for most of the weekend, but these kids are getting good with the riding. It will be a while before they can smoke the old man but that day isnt too far off.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
placelast said:
Eddie: sorry about your situation. Do you want me to bring any F. McClintock or Moe's BBQ sauce for you or anyone else to try?

CRF_Tom: across the road from Fish Creek Camp there is what they call an overflow area; no water and primitive camping but plenty of room for your 33'-er, same with Troy Mdws Overflow - lots of room for ya but no water within. Both have connecting trails to the regular campsites where the rest of us stay where there is water available. There is no fee for the overflows, and a permit is needed for campfires, etc. You might want to call the Kennedy Mdws. general store and see if they will let you fill up there/then. And the downhill of 9-Mile Canyon is steep and a loooooooonnnnnnng ways down not only on the pavement but over the side.

Chris: thanks - I have plenty of oil at the moment although I could use a Keihin (sp) PWK 38 pilot and 138 main for the KDX as I am at the end of my available brass, if you could - it would be appreciated.

Son #2 somehow got off of work so he and I will be there early-to-mid afternoon Friday. My intent is to do a bike loop around and beyond Bonita Mdws (drive there to unload near Sherman Pass) and do some fishing nearby afterwards, then back to camp at Fish Creek Campground for both nights. Plans for early Saturday is to (drive to a convenient point and unload and) do a Beach/Horse/Albanita/Blk Mtn./Monache Mdw. loop and maybe late afternoon fishing if Friday was productive. Then leave early Sunday morn. Anyone is welcome to join us; we'd be doing a moderate but not elevated pace and no exploring/adventure.

Placelast: you mention fishing. I am an avid angler as well as riding. I have heard that the fishing is great up there. How far from the campsites are the streams etc?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
CspineRider said:
One more question, how do quads and ATC's do out their? Are the trails to narrow? Reason I ask is because my wife rides a ATC250R and Tom's wife and kids all have quads. What is the nearest big city that would be on a map closest to Kennedy Meadows? Is it Pearsonville?

There is a jeep road that is one of only 2 legal quad places. the first is not far from fish creek, but you do have ot load up and drive to it. All the ridable trails from either campground are bikes only. Although there are a few un inhabited dirt roads(not trails) that head off real close by you can take your chances on. The jeep road is alot of pretty easy fun and goes on longer than your kids or wife will probrably want to ride.

Here's a link http://www.kernvalley.com/news/offroad.htm

ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES (ATV's)
State law requires a safety certificate for anyone under the age of 18 riding an ATV on public lands. For anyone under 14 years of age, the law requires that they be accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian or an adult authorized by the parent or guardian.
The law requires EVERYONE to wear a helmet when riding an ATV.
ATV'S are permitted only on the Sherman Pass and Monache 4-Wheel Drive Roads and must be transported to the entry points. ATV's must possess a valid State OHV "Green Sticker" and Forest Service approved spark arrester.

4-WHEEL DRIVE ROADS
The two major 4-wheel drive roads on the Kern Plateau are the Sherman Pass Road and Monache Jeep Road. Sherman Jeep Road is a narrow, rocky road not suitable for long wheelbase vehicles. Access to this road is off the Bonita Meadow Road (22S41). The road continues toward the west and terminates at the Sherman Pass Road, approximately six miles west of the Vista Point.

The Monache Jeep Road provides access into the Monache Meadow area and the South Fork of the Kern River. This is an easy 4-wheel drive road which starts near Powell Meadow on Road 21S36 and ends near Bakeoven Meadow.

Oh yeah, your about 8,000 ft up for jetting I went leaner across the board on my 2 stroke, we'll see how that works. for 4 strokes I left it alone and just leaned/adjustsed the full screw went I got there. temps are usually 70 -80 during the day and down to 50-60 at night. But in the mountians any day can be different.

See you there

Last edited:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
My plan is still to head up early Sat AM. I would like to get in a nice big loop Saturday afternnon. Maybe around 1PM

John, I like doing the "drive up to a deeper start point and enter father in" thing if you want to go in the around 1 rather than AM on Sat. Otherwise I'll just hook up with whoever is around. I don't want to hold up your plans. I should be there around 12:00.

Sat around 4-5, I'll be up for leading a truck caravan again over to the dome land wilderness outlook for all who want to go. For those who haven't been, it's a great view as you climb up a fire lookout tower on the top of a mountain. You can see for miles. You can sign in the guest book and chat with the ranger. FYI this includes a brief 10 min hike each way.

Sunday I'm up for anything.

I think I'll just be sleeping in the back of my truck, but there is an outside shot a neigher may come up also and inspire me to pull the camper.

If all my other plans fall through I may be up late Friday night, but I doubt it.

John let me know about Sat.

CRF_Tom

Jun 16, 2005
Ok, it looks like Mike and I are going to be bringing up the families and tent camping it this time around. We just want to check it out for the next trip. Now, since we are going to be coming up on Sat. More than likely be there around 3 or 4. What and who are we looking for? What kind of truck/rig, campsite setup, bikes. You know the drill. That would suck to drive all the way out there and then think of this :yikes: I'll be driving a dodge ram 2500. White with a teal stripe. Mike will be driving a white jimmy with a small trailer with the bikes on it. We will be heading to fish creek first, then maybe to Troy meadows. Depending on who we meet and the availiblity of site/overflow camping. We are really looking forward to meeting some if not all of you up there. This sounds like a great time. Plus there's fishing :cool: I can't wait.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'll be at fish creek, Look for a white Ford Ranger a small tent and a SDG Mini.
I'll be up Thursday afternoon, and will be leaving Sunday night

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
PL- No problem, I dont have a main that small, but I will be close enough to Sudco today to pick up brass.

Anyone else need jets? I am leaving the office in about 1.5 hours, and I wont have I-net connection after that.

Anyone have any DRN signs we can post at our campsights? If not, it will be likely that we will be in most spots near the entrance / exit of fish creek. I have 05- F-250 dark silver towing a toy hauler, I havent seen the borrowed hauler yet, so I dont know what it is.

Boodac- Be sure to make it down for fire pit stories/lies, we still have jiffy-pop ;)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Farmer John said:
Weather schmeather.
As long as the moon & my wife don't align against me, I will be there. :ride:

what kind of crackhead statment was that??? :blah:

I'm out.

Gotta work saturday, relatives coming from out of state for the holiday....blah blah blah.

:ugg: :ugg:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ill either see you guys on around the fire or on the trails or hopefully I can weazel my way into a ride with you guys. Remeber to make it like the Motel Six and "keep the light on for me"

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
2strok4fun said:
Anyone have any DRN signs we can post at our campsights? ;)

I can make some printed ones again but I won't be up till sat am. if you want them earlier I can arrange to meet someone?

FYI for you newbies, we normally allways grab the first and the last sites in the fish creek loop. That way we are always close.

I'll either have my red dodge quad cab or blue astro van with a ktm 300 w #28 on the plates.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
No FJ? That does it! I'll have to hold on to your presents 'til next time (no joke; had them since before the Wild Boar Enduro - we didn't make it this year due to Shorty's grades).

Tim: sure - we can alter our plans - we enjoy your company. I just need your approximate arrival time so we can make it back to camp & wait 4U.

CRF_Tom: yes, there's fishing, although the fire from '02 (?) changed the dynamics; IOW, my good spot is now absolutely not, so we are going to try another promising location, pickup and/or bike accessible, with a short 1/2 mile hike req'd. You're welcome to join us. E-mail me for more details or look for my pickup at Fish Creek Campsite - white Toyota T100 Xtracab, yellow & green bikes.

Bodacious: I agree w/your company in that Troy is a slightly better campsite, especially the far north end. Though I am not opposed to where the group has been meeting over the last few years as it works just fine.

Chris: thanks for the Sud run. I may need needles but for now brass should do well.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
John- I dont have your cell # or it may have changed, call my cell at 714-504-1938, I wont be at Sudco for about 2+ hours yet if you need needles.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Well, me and CRF Tom are definatley going. We should arrive at fishcreek around 3-4 on saturday afternoon. We will be looking for you. I will be driving a white GMC jimmy with trailer, my bike is a CR250 with all black plastics. Tom will be driving his blue and white Dodge Ram. Thanks for the fishing info placelast, we will definately want to go with you. See you guys there.

Mike

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
placelast said:
Tim: sure - we can alter our plans - we enjoy your company. I just need your approximate arrival time so we can make it back to camp & wait 4U.

I'm leaving my house around 7AM on Sat. I should arrive between 11 and 12. I should be ready to go by 12:30 - 1. I'll set up camp after our ride.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll be arriving around 9 or 10 AM on Friday morning ... quickly get settled in and then an all day ride. Then hopefully get out again early Saturday for another tank drainer.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Ya know, I would go to Kennedy Meadows, but the tenting thing just doesn't cut it for me and it's too far for just one day. I made a last minute decision to go a few years ago, but this time I'll make plans in advance (if any).

How far would it be to the nearest Motel? (It's been a long time - I forgot).

Last edited:
Top Bottom