Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
My new (new to me 1997) 200 came with the kickstand seperated from the kickstand. The previous owner said that the bolts "just fell out" from all of the swingarm action. Went to my local KAWI dealer, and they want 6 bucks a piece for the bolts.

I can get fancy stainless Metric bolts from my local bolt dealer for a lot less. Can anyone tell me the size? The local HS graduate parts guys looked at me cross eyed :think: when I asked them what size the bolts were... :bang:

Secondly, do these bolts typically come loose? should I use Red or Blue loctite, with or without lockwashers....

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Go to the Kawasaki site, find the parts diagram for your year and it will tell the the thread size. Then go to your auto parts dealer and pay $2 for a couple. They will be course thread.
Then put High Strength (Red) Thread Locker on them so they don't fall off again. NO WASHERS

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
My dad added a kickstand to the KDX before he gave it to me. He also laughed when the dealer said $6/each. He went to Lowe's and got them for a couple bucks total. I don't know the exact size, but I do know that they are available. I don't have any Locktite on mine and no problem. Probably wouldn't hurt though. Good luck!

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
If they are not weight bearing and rated bolts - then use anything that fits. but in the case of the aftermarket promoto billet kickstands - their bolts replace the ones on the pegs and you don't want cheap bolts in that location...

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
The size of the (2) flanged bolts used to attach the kick-stand mounting tab to the swingarm are 12X25 (12mm dia. X 25mm length) they have a fine thread pitch of 1.25mm (I think--going from memory here). The flanged bolt needed to attach the kick-stand to the mounting tab is 10X35. I too had to replace the kick-stand bolt with an aftermarket one. Just watch for the length of the bearing surface, that non-threated area below the head of the bolt. You want the two tabs of the kick-stand to ride on the bearing surface and not the bolt threads themselves. I wound up buying a longer bolt than the stock 10X35 to get the longer bearing section. I then just cut the excess off with the old hacksaw. It's the custom bearing shaft length that makes the OEM bolt so expensive. Hope this helps. :cool:

P.S. On the kick-stand bolt, I used a flanged nylock nut and haven't had any problems with it loosening up.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
mitchw said:
The size of the (2) flanged bolts used to attach the kick-stand mounting tab to the swingarm are 12X25 (12mm dia. X 25mm length) they have a fine thread pitch of 1.25mm (I think--going from memory here). :
The Thread is course, the Bolt size sounds about right. Ask the guy at the auto parts store is it is a course thread though

Last edited:

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
mitchw...thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. The Kawasaki Schematic doesnt give the bolt size, just a part number. this will help immensely...thanks.

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
I can understand some may want a kickstand, but as for me, I rather find a tree. I have a brand new kickstand and airbox cover sitting on the shelf which were removed the first day of owning my KDX. Personally, I don't want a kickstand to drop down while riding or drill my body during a crash and as for the air box cover, well, it just runs better without it. Sorry, just my toughts.

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
Well, there are two reasons I would like my stand...
1. I am used to having one on my XR...old habits die hard.
2. Here in AZ, there is not always a tree. sometimes a cactus, or scrub brush, but usually, nothing at all...

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
Red_Rooster you are welcome. Something I should have mentioned earlier, the Kawasaki part numbers for bolts will tell you the size of the bolt.

Example: (These are the OEM part #s for the kick-stand bolts)

130G1035 (10X35)
130G1225 (12X25)

:ride:

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Coarse vs. Fine

I don't remember the exact pitch of the bolt, but it definately would not be described as coarse. I had to borrow a tap because at 12 MM the only taps in my Craftsman set were all much more coarse that the bolt was. Metric does not use the nomenclature of "fine" and "coarse" thread, but the pitch is much closer to Fine, if anything. I had to go to a industrial supply store to find it. Home Depot didn't have anything with a fine enough pitch, but when I did find it it was only 2 bucks per bolt.

Top Bottom