Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
Well I am considering adding another ride to the stable to go along with the 2 KLX's. I'm leaning toward the DR-Z400 kicker. My questions are as follows:

1. How is the handling in the tight stuff compared to the KLX? Has
anyone ridden both?

2 How is the power of the stock DRZ compared to the KLX with
all of the free mods? Are there free mods for the DRZ?

3. I never read anything negative about the DRZ. Are these bikes
that reliable?

I've just read the post about the E start vs. the kicker and am leaning toward the kicker based on how easy it is to start and the weight savings. My riding buddy has a KTM520 with both and when we switch rides I only us the kicker. It has always started on the first kick. Is the DRZ this easy? 2001 models are seling for $4,995 out the door so it seems like the time to buy. Thanks for any info that you can provide.

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
you can do better than that, I paid 4600 out the door for my 01 "E" back in September. I remember seeing the kickers for 100 less than that.

Mac
Omaha

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
No, I mean I paid a TOTAL of 4600. No set up, freight, and whatever else they can dream up. That 4299 at Chaparral ends up costing you closer to 5 by the time you get it in your truck.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
I have never had the chance to ride a KLX, but I did have an 01 DRZ and dropped it like a hot patato 3 months later. It just didn't do it for me. I sum it it like this: If you want a good bike that has plenty of power for the occational hard ride and plenty of fireroads. The DRZ is a good choice. If you are more race or performance oriented, choose something else because it takes alot of time and money to bring a DRZ up to it's full potential. I choose a 400 EXC and it is like night and day. Thank you KTM. My prayers were answered!

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
I have a KLX300 and I've ridden my friends DRZ400E. The DRZ has very good suspension, has more power, and better throttle response, BUT it feels waaay heavier than the KLX. Also I like the versatility of a 6-speed transmission as the KLX has. Try to get a test ride on each one and see what you think.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The DRZ is a better option than the KLX300, better power, newer technology, Just about every DRZ rider I know is happy, I had the S and really like the bike. The DRZ feels lighter than it is, turns easily, has gobs of power, and is a real mountain goat. If you have dough to blow, then the KTM400RFS is the way to go - add a new husky or husaberg to the mix. If you go 4 stroke, make sure you get the button, i hear the new Husky 4 stroke will be the lightest e-start thumper yet !

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
Here is how I see the KTm vs DRZ.
  • KTM has better factory equiptment
  • hydraulic clutch
  • DID rims
  • both E and kick start and still weighs less than kick only DRZ
  • Magura bars

The power between the two will be a toss up when the DRZ is rejetted and airbox opened up.My DRZ will stay side by side with my buddys 520EXC till 55mph then hes gone so I'll base my opinion on that and mag dynos show the KTM400 with another whopping horsepower over the DRZ(that was tested in stock form).Let's not leave out the KTM does have it's downsides as well....
  • parts are hard to get and pricey
  • the motor has a small oil capacity at just over a qrt
  • cam bearing issues with both the 520 and 400 motors
  • The KTM has not a single grease fitting on the suspension

The KTM will demand more time wrenching on it for some thats not a problem.Ktm claims the cam bearing issues are fixed for 02.The KLX uuhh Idunno never rode one.:silly:

Top Bottom