KTM EXC,MXC owners can you help me?

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
On my Kx 500 the cylinder head has only one water pipe leading to the left radiator then the water goes across to the right rad then down to the water pump. Is your KTM the same apart from a thermostat between the two rads? If so, do you know how long is the thermostat? I have been looking into fitting an in line thermostat to my bike as it is geared up for road use (it has lights and so forth on it)and gets a lot of air through the radiators also if it helps warmup then next door don't have to listen to it for as long. Any information that you can give me would be apreciated. Cheers

Last edited:
B

biglou

demo-Looks like mine on the 250 takes up about a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" chunck of pipe. That'd be 31-37mm on your side of the pond!:D

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by BigLou
demo-Looks like mine on the 250 takes up about a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" chunck of pipe. That'd be 31-37mm on your side of the pond!:D
Exellent that will fit on my bike I think but is your cooling system routed the same way as mine? cheers for the help:)

B

biglou

Much easier to draw than explain! Here's a picture. This is looking forward, from the engine side of the rads:

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Big Lou. Thank you very much for the picture it has explained a lot,unfortunately my cooling system isn't routed the same way as that (I would draw it but I don't know how to insert images into messages just yet)so I am not sure that adding a thermostat will be as easy as I thought it would be now.Thanks for your effort and I think I owe you a pint. That would be about two bottles on your side of the pond:D Cheers:)

B

biglou

No problem, demo. :)
As I look at how this is set up, it sure seems to me that the left side would flow water all the time, routing through the bottom of the right rad. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like one rad flows all the time with the second one kicking in when the thermostat opens. Just an observation.

demographic

Jan 21, 2002
Yep thats the way it looked to me after seeing your picture.My KX is plumbed in series so to put a thermostat in would block flow completley (I knew this before but wasnt sure if it mattered)through both radiators but your KTMs rads look like they are plumbed in parallel so like you say they must be able to use one until it is warm enough then use both.So it now looks like I might have to do a rethink and maybe use a couple of Y connectors and coolant pipe to get my plan to work (or just leave it like it is and just use a bit of plastic to block off air flow to one rad).Your information ha been very usefull thankyou.:)

Top Bottom