yog22

Mar 20, 2007
I have a 2002 kawasaki kx 250. It will not start when it is cold. I have to kick it forever and sometimes it will start after about 10 minutes of kicking. Usually it won't even start and I have to push start it. It push starts very easily. Once I get it going it runs very good. Once it is started I can shut it off and kick start it again very easily. But if I let it sit for more than an hour it won't kick start again. I have to kick it forever or push start it. It has a good spark and good compression. I can't figure this out.

I NEED HELP!!! PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I would have to assume since you have spark and compression your problem is fuel related. I would check the float level, it sounds to me the float level may be too high letting the engine flood when its sitting. Try letting it sit and idle for one minute with the fuel shut off, let it sit for a couple hours, then turn the fuel on and see if it starts easy. If that works then your float level may be off. Pick up a manual and adjust it as described in the carburator section. If you keep kicking it for 10 minutes to get it started each time you ride you will eventually break the shaft the kick starter goes on. It happened to my friend.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I would check the stator, Although it seems to have good spark it is hard to tell if spark is enough spark. My old kx started to do the same and it was stator.
2002 aint that old though

Top Bottom