a_gunslinger

Jan 11, 2005
My son's 03 kx65: All of a sudden when my son puts it in gear WITH clutch pulled in it immeidately lurches and stalls. Its almost like the bike thinks the clutch isnt pulled in and thus stalls when you put it in gear. Oddly, after doing this 8-10 times it eventaully behaves. Clutch cable seems adjusted right and seems to be pulling the clutch xase acuator the proper amount. Any thoughts as to what to check first of sequence of checks? I have soooo little free time these days Im hoping group insight can save me a few hours.

Thanks

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Remove the oil...and use a thinner oil....
But you still need to check the basket for notching. I can almost guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that it is notched...but thinner oil will help.
You can use a flat file and file the notches out of the basket. This will fix the problem for a while. The long term fix is a billet clutch basket. $$$ couple of hundered and then you need to know how to install it.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Your clutch plates are stuck together from storage.

First thing to try is put the bike in 4th gear, pull in the clutch and pull it backwards 20 feet until the rear wheel rolls without turning over the crank. That will free them up most of the time.

If not, you need to remove the side cover, remove the pressure plate and then all the plates. Seperate all of them, soak in oil and reinstall. Also inspect the basket like mentioned.

Happens to a lot of bikes that are stored for a period of time.

Top Bottom