KX 85 Gas and Oil Mixture Problem.....

Mikes12985

Oct 22, 2004
I just got a used KX 85 a day ago and it was running in perfect condition untill i had to fill up the gas tank with gas and oil. I realized that i put too much oil into the mixture and at first it was running fine, but then it started to bog when i hit 3rd gear and it would shut off. I tried starting it again, but when it turned on i would try and rev it up in neutral, but it was slightly bogging out and making back fireing noises coming out of the pipe. I tipped the bike to drain out as much gas n oil as possible, there was a little left after i tipped it, so i decided to fill it with only gas and the left over oil that was still in the tank. I started up fine after we did this but as i hit 4th gear it bogged out totally and locked up on me and i couldnt start it back up after this. does any1 know how much oil to put in the mixture with the gasoline or if there could be any other problems. One more question....Is it possible to drain out all of the gas and oil from the tank so i dont have to tip it again? Thanks Mike.

Sep 2, 2005
:yikes: First off see the hose going from the tank to the carb? Use that hose to drain the fuel once all the fuel is out lean the bike all the way over to the side os that hose is on the tank and try to drain the rest out. Beings that your new bike just mix 4oz of oil for every gallon of gas. Use good oil not wall mart lawn mower oils or bass fishing oils.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Mikes12985 said:
I tipped the bike to drain out as much gas n oil as possible, there was a little left after i tipped it, so i decided to fill it with only gas and the left over oil that was still in the tank. I started up fine after we did this but as i hit 4th gear it bogged out totally and locked up on me and i couldnt start it back up after this.

Do you mean you put pretty much striaght gas in it? If there was was very little gas/oil in the bottom of the tank there problaby wasnt enought oil to keep it lubricated. This would probably explain why it locked up. Does it still turn over now, or is it seized?

Mikes12985

Oct 22, 2004
rm_racer said:
Do you mean you put pretty much striaght gas in it? If there was was very little gas/oil in the bottom of the tank there problaby wasnt enought oil to keep it lubricated. This would probably explain why it locked up. Does it still turn over now, or is it seized?

What do u mean straight gas, I premixed it with oil as well, but just not the right amount, and also what do u mean by does it turn over or is it seized, what does turn over mean???Thanks Mike.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Mikes12985 said:
what do u mean by does it turn over or is it seized, what does turn over mean???Thanks Mike.

Does the kickstarter move or is it locked up? It sounds like you ran it too lean and seized the engine to me. Gas/oil mixture is not something to be "guesstimating" on a high performance race engine.

Mikes12985

Oct 22, 2004
Chili said:
Does the kickstarter move or is it locked up? It sounds like you ran it too lean and seized the engine to me. Gas/oil mixture is not something to be "guesstimating" on a high performance race engine.

After all of these things happened the kickstart locked up for about 30 seconds, but i was playing with it and it unlocked and i tried kicking it a few more times, after it locked i got the bike to start but it would bog and die out...

Top Bottom