lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
The pistons in the caliber are not disengaging all the way and the result is that the rotor is rubbing on the brake pads and the wheel can not spin freely. I noticed this problem a couple weeks ago and I took the caliper apart, cleaned it, reassembled, and bled all the air out of the system. Worked great for a few rides but now I am back with the same situation. WTF? I also noticed that my front rotor has some free play where the ring style fasteners attach the two pieces of the rotor together. I'm thinking this might be the source of the problem. Is there a way to tighten these up? Anyone else ever have this problem? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Make sure your rotor is not bent.

You cannot tighten the rivets. Get a new rotor.

If it is the caliper, then buy new seals from the dealer and rebuild the calipers

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
I'm pretty sure it's not the caliper as i completely rebuilt it a couple weeks ago. I got the rotor off and it looks ok but all the rivets are loose which is causing it to wobble. I am thinking maybe this wobble is what's causing the wheel to stick? Is it possible to replace all the rivets? I am going to the shop tomorrow morning to see what I can find.

Last edited:

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
So I need a new rotor and I'm not sure whether to go floating or one piece. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards a Galfer wave rotor. Anyone have any experience with these? Will I really notice a difference coming from a floater to a one piece? My old YZ had a one piece and I thought it worked just fine.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
lukesh40 said:
So I need a new rotor and I'm not sure whether to go floating or one piece. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards a Galfer wave rotor. Anyone have any experience with these? Will I really notice a difference coming from a floater to a one piece? My old YZ had a one piece and I thought it worked just fine.

Wave rotors are supposed to be pretty good due to them slinging off mud and dirt quicker than stock rotors.

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
Right on, turns out one of the rivets were bent. I picked up an EBC floating rotor from motosport.com for $106. Not a bad deal considering the local shop was quoting a minimum of 150. Thanks for the replies

Top Bottom