KX65 for newby son on trails?? mods to make it a trails bike

opihiman911

Aug 9, 2003
My 7 year old son has been begging me for years to go ridding with me. I think he has finally gotten old enough, strong enough, and mature enough to start ridding with me.
I am a lifetime KDX rider,4 past KDX's, with my current ride a '99 KDX200 overbored to a 220. I ride strictly trails in a varied of terrain from wooded tight stuff to wide open fire roads to rocky hill climbs. I do not ride motorcross and have no intention of teaching my son to rid motorcross.
I have a friend who's son has outgrown his 2002 KX65 and is getting him a bigger bike. His son rides motocross, but the bike is pretty much stock. My friend is willing to practically give the bike to me just to get my son into the sport.
I want my son to learn on a 2 stroke with a clutch. Is a KX65 a good bike to learn on? Will it be able to handle tight trails and have enough bottom end to pull him out of tight trails and up hills without a bunch of shifting and clutch feathering? What can I do to the KX to make it more like my KDX that love so much, especially with the great low end torque? (yes, I'm lazy with ridding fourth gear in trails then being able to slog uphill without shifting) Flywheel weights? changing rear sprocket? knarly pipes?
Thank for any help.

Aloha,
Cory

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
At 7 years, he 'should' be able to ride it. It won't be an easy bike to really learn on, but if he's a fast learner and eager to ride, he may do OK. But if he's a timid kind, a KX is pretty wicked fast.

The best mod would be to have the top end redone for low end torque. A FWW would help too.

Personally, I don't like the small tires on the 65s for woods riding. A 4 stroke 80cc bike would be the hot ticket, IMO.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I agree with Crim, a fly-wheel weight would help as would an extra tooth or two at the rear sprocket.

A seven year old is going to be a bit streched-out on a KX65. I know you want him to learn to ride a clutch, but he might be better off with an auto-clutch. I believe there are several conversions for the KX65.

Top Bottom