M0T0MAN

Jan 30, 2007
My sisters got a KX80 and the power on it comes in at one rather large whack, before the powerband its not got enough power and during the powerband its got to much. So basically shes got two choice ride it fast or ride it slow. Shes not good enough to ride it fast yet is there anyway of making the power more even so she can slowly get better without going straight from slow to fassssttttt, ive heard you can change the needle to change the power characteristics.

Jan 3, 2007
Two words for you, Flywheel weight. Adding a flywheel weight will increase the rotating mass, or inertia, of the motor. The
result is an engine that is a little slower to rev, has more controllable power delivery and less hard hitting power, a
more usable low to mid-range, and is less likely to stall at slow speeds or with the rear brake. What you will feel is
better traction when it is slippery or hard pack, a torquier and broader powerband, and the top end power on many
bikes will be improved with less tendency to lose RPM’s when climbing or hitting obstacles. The easier to control
power will help you conserve your strength and energy, plus many bikes start easier with the added weight. This is stright from this site http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/about_steahly.shtml
Good luck.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You could play with the jetting, what you are doing is essentially jetting the bike overly rich so it runs poorly. You won't be changing the power characteristics so much as reducing the power because it will be running poorer. You could also add a restrictor to the exhaust flange between the cylinder and the pipe and as she gets better drill out the restrictor more and more until you completely remove it, this is how Yamaha restricts the PW50 and PW80 for beginners.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
your best bet is the flywheel weight. I have one on a CR80 it doesn't take the "wack" out of it as you descibe it. But it does make it more ridable for my GF. Keeps the front wheel on the ground at least.

I've taught here how to use the clutch when riding slow up tough terrain.

Sounds like your sister needs a 4-stroke.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
is it powervalved?-
a smaller or larger front sprocket will help- i put a (11 tooth) smaller one on my kx 80 to get rid of the hesitation it allows the motor to rapp out a little faste thus getting rid of the bog- snap
clean the silencer packing if its dirty-use klotz oil 40:1 it will run crisper but won't bog then snap- it will take a lil getting use to but she will love it

Top Bottom