Looking for trails to ride in SW N.Y./ NW P.A.

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Hi , I recently moved from the state of Georgia to Jamestown , NY(Southwestern part of NY) and am looking to find places to ride. I believe I've been able to locate most of the MX tracks within 2 hours of me but I am looking for some nice woods/trails. I have found a couple "clubs" but they generally want some volunteer work and are not quite close enough for me to actually be able to offer any significant time to help. I don't mind having to pay to ride if this makes a difference. Thanks in advance .....

alphado

Uhhh...
Jun 6, 2001
There are a number of MX tracks and woods riding areas within an hour of
Erie. I am a member of Hillside Riding Club which is in Erie. We have 2
tracks, one is a supercross style and one is a vintage track that is all
natural terrain. If you ever want to ride there let me know I can get as
many people as I want in as a guest. Here is a list of PA tracks that I
know of with contact info:

BEAVER VALLEY RACEWAY OAKDALE PA 412-693-2880
CHALLENGER THE INDIANA PA 412-726-5494
COUNTY LINE MOTOCROSS RACEWAY LEBEOUF TRAIL PA 814-827-8919
DOUBLIN GAP MX PARK SHIPPENSBURG PA 717-249-6036
FIELD OF DREAMS JENNERSTOWN PA 814-629-6591
FLYING DUTCHEM M/C CLUB PINE GROVE PA 570-345-6340
FOX RACEWAY MARENVILLE PA 814-927-1410
HAPPY RAMBLERS M/C CLUB HANOVER PA 717-633-7708
HIGH POINT RACEWAY MT. MORRIS PA 304-284-0084
HILLSIDE RIDING CLUB WATERFORD PA 814-833-0400
HILLTOP LODGE MOTOCROSS EMPORIUM PA 609-653-6891 HOLESHOT-RACEWAY
PYMATUNING PA 814-683-5655
HURRICANE HILLS CLIFFORD PA 570-222-9290
LUZERNE PARK BROWNSVILLE PA 304-284-0084
MX573 MONTROSE PA 570-278-1805
PAGODA MOTORCYCLE CLUB INC. READING PA 610-582-3717
PLEASURE VALLEY RACEWAY JOHNSTOWN PA 814-539-4114
RAUSCH CREEK MOTORSPORTS RAUSCH CREEK PA 570-682-4600
ROLLING THUNDER RACEWAY RAMEY PA 874-378-4789
SCOOB'S MUCKY POND RACEWAY EBENSBURG PA 814-344-8084
SIGMUNDS KAWASAKI & KTM MX TRACK CENTRAL CITY PA 814-754-4411 SLEEPY HOLLOW
MX PARK FREDERICKSBURG PA 717-273-1180
STEEL CITY DELMONT PA 304-284-0084
SWITCHBACK BULTER PA 724-283-2793
WEST MORELAND FAIRGROUNDS GREENSBURG PA 724-929-5396

There are also a few Trail systems in the Allegheny Forest here is a link to
their website;
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/allegheny/recreation/trails/atv.html

If you want to make a trip up here let me know maybe Me and my buddies can
show you guys around up here.

Brandon Moss

Oct 24, 2001
There is an Army Corps of Eng. riding area just south west of Greenville, PA. They have 1,000 acres and is connected to some power lines as well. I am having a brain cramp as to its name. I believe it was on RT 846. I have only been there once, but it has many trails and it goes along the Shenango Reservoir.

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Alphado..... WOW!!!! That was more than I could have hoped for! I just picked up a pamphlet from Hillside riding club this weekend. Would I need to register my bike or get any permits to ride in PA ? How about a spark arrestor ?

alphado

Uhhh...
Jun 6, 2001
You need a permit to ride in the ANF. It is new for this year and here is the info on it. You need a spark arrestor for the ANF. Let me know if you want to ride at Hillside, I can get you in just about any time for $10 a day.

Important Facts
Fee Demonstration Implementation
All-terrain Vehicles and Motorbikes
The Omnibus Consolidated Rescissions and Appropriations Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-134) and the Interior and Related
Agencies Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 1997 (P.L. 104-208) authorized the testing of user fees through September
30, 1999. Subsequent appropriations language has extended this program through 2004. This program is frequently
referred to as the “Fee Demonstration” program.
The Eastern Region Fee Demonstration Program is a part of the umbrella National pilot program that broadens the
application of collecting fees as a revenue tool for providing customer service.
The ANF is managed according to an approved Land and Resource Management Plan (Forest
Plan).
The ANF Forest Plan was completed in 1986 after extensive public involvement.
The Forest Plan guides the management of OHV’s.
Trails for all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s) and motorized trail-bikes are classified as summer-motorized
trails – trails for snowmobiles are winter- motorized trails.
The Forest Plan calls for 350 miles of summer motorized OHV trails for ATV’s and trail- bikes.
Summer motorized trails are limited to five intensive use areas designated in the Forest Plan. These
areas total approximately 20% of the ANF land base.
The Forest sets two seasons for summer-motorized trails. The spring/summer season runs from
Memorial Day weekend through the last Saturday of September. The winter season runs from
December 20 through April 1.
Trails are temporarily closed within these seasons when unfavorable weather conditions could create
excessive trail damage.
By setting seasons, impacts to the resource are minimized, including disturbance to nesting wildlife
and trail impacts resulting from seasonal wet weather.
The National Recreation Agenda recognizes managed OHV use as a legitimate use on national forest
lands.
The ANF recreation strategy recognizes OHV use as a recreation niche for the Forest.
All-terrain vehicle and motorbike use is the fastest growing recreation use on the Allegheny
National Forest.
The ANF is a recognized leader in providing ATV and trail-bike riding opportunities in Pennsylvania.
The ANF has managed the use of ATV’s and motorized trail-bikes on the forest since 1977.
The current 108-mile trail system is considered to be one of the premier public land OHV trail
systems in the northeast.
Summer-motorized trail use is changing from predominantly male to family oriented groups.
Past experience shows that by providing a safe, well-maintained all-terrain vehicle and motorbike
riding system illegal use is reduced.
Trail users desire more amenities at trails heads including expanded parking and more dispersed
camping. Expanded trail riding miles are needed because of the high use.
The costs associated with meeting the public demand for all-terrain vehicles and motorbikes
trails exceed appropriated funding and partnership contributions.
With current funding, it is difficult to maintain trails at the status quo. Expansion and reconstruction
are limited by the lack of funding.
Costs to construct all-terrain vehicle and motorbike trails range from $15,000 to $30,000 per mile.
All-terrain vehicle and motorbike trails cost $1,000 per mile, per year to maintain.
Additional costs include trailhead facilities such as expanded parking lots, enhanced signing, seasonal
employees for trail monitoring, and updated brochures and maps.
The operations and maintenance costs of all-terrain vehicle and motorbike trails on the ANF ranges
from $280,000 to $300,000 annually.
The annual economic impact in Pennsylvania from the use of summer-motorized trails on the ANF
exceeds $17,000,000.
Approximately $200,000 is received annually through partnership agreements/grants to supplement
appropriated funding. This funding cannot be used for federal salaries.
Implementation of the Fee Demonstration Project on the Allegheny National Forest OHV
trails is essential to providing continued high-quality all-terrain vehicle and motorbike
experiences on the Forest.
Under the Fee-Demo project 95% of the fees collected are returned to the ANF for work on the
existing facility.
Fifteen percent of those fees can be used to administer the program while the remaining 80% can be
used for the on-the-ground work.
Fees returned to the Forest will be used first for maintenance of existing trails to safe standards and
then, if funds are available, to begin planning for the expansion of trail miles.
Funds collected under the Fee Demonstration authority are not subject to the 25% fund.
Beginning July 1, 2002, a season pass will be required by all motorbike and all-terrain
vehicle riders who use the designated off-highway vehicle trail system on the Allegheny
National Forest
Motorized trail users will be required to purchase an annual pass at a cost of $35.00 per vehicle.
Non-motorized trail users and snowmobiles will not be required to have an annual pass.
Trail passes can be purchased at all Forest Service offices, including the Tionesta Service Center, and
at selected vendors in the local communities. Vendors will be announced at a later date.
Applications to purchase passes will be available at all Allegheny National Forest offices and the
forest website: www.fs.fed.us/r9/allegheny.
Passes will be renewed on a calendar year basis. New passes will be required each year for all-terrain
vehicles and trail bikes using the ATV trails. Passes purchased in December of the current will be
valid through the following year.
Individuals who lose their pass or trade their vehicle may purchase a replacement pass at a cost of
$10.00
Motorized trail users who have not purchased a pass are subject to citation and fine.
Fines will be assessed and penalties could also include a mandatory appearance before the U.S.
Magistrate.

Brandon Moss

Oct 24, 2001
I found out the name of the place in Greenville,PA. It is Bayview ORV area (Army Corps of Engr) and it is on RT 846 south of Greenville. It is FREE and has a nice parking area.

Top Bottom