hjgird

Jul 28, 2000
How do you measure the size of a jump (table top, double etc.). From ramp top to landing top, ramp bottom to landing bottom ...?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

You measure from the bottom of the takeoff ramp to the bottom of the landing ramp and add 20 feet.:D

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Re: .

Originally posted by holeshot
You measure from the bottom of the takeoff ramp to the bottom of the landing ramp and add 20 feet.:D
OOPS! I've been adding 30. :)

hjgird

Jul 28, 2000
Maybe I should have phrased the question differently :)

What is the correct way to measure the length of a jump.

hjgird

Jul 28, 2000
This is not exactly what I've been looking for since I'm not planning to (intentionally) make any record attempts in the near future :)
The most conservative way to measure a jump would be:
Tabletop: Top of the ramp face to the top of the landing ramp.
However it does not seem like this is the way jumps at most tracks is measured.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Depends on who you're telling the story too. If it's your riding buddies that were with you at the jump, top of takeoff to top off landing. If it's your co-workers then go from bottom of takeoff to bottom of landing. If it's your wife, use the first method then subtract your age and for the younger guys/gals telling your parents, use the first method, subtract your age and add that your bike really didn't leave the ground that much! Good luck
Elk

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Apex of take off, to the Apex of the landing, thats what I use for a measurement....

So basically , tip to tip...

coperam

Mar 12, 2001
I thought you wanted to know how they measure jump distances???

Johnny Airtime states in detail how to measure the gaps of different types of ramps.

If you just wanted to know how to guesstimate on a track, I would say "pace it off" peak to peak.

later,
coperam

hjgird

Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for all the replies guys.
The reason I wanted to know what the acceptable standard of measuring a jump on a tack is, is that I don't want to say I'm jumping a 90 foot tabletop if it's only 65 feet.
There is a new table top on the track and people have been saying it's about a 100 foot long, but peek to peek it seems about 65 to 70 foot to me. (It also looked like a 100 foot until I cleared it for the firs time, then it suddenly shrunk.) I'll pace it off next time I'm at the track.
Before I open my mouth I like to be sure I know what I'm talking about.
I irritate me when people talk about their near stock 250's doing 100 miles an hour while behind a buddy’s car, and jumping a 100 foot when the jump is only 65 foot long.

Regarding the Johnny Airtime site, it's also good to know the official way to measure jumps.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
100ft jump means pretty high, if not wide open in 4th. Thats my 250, but I think everyone on a 250 would be pretty close to that.

Top Bottom