Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Abstract...
Public Invited to Comment on Draft Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Plan
517-373-1665 or 517-335-3014
Agency: Natural Resources

August 11, 2005

State recreation officials announced today that the Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Trails Advisory Board has released a draft plan for comprehensive management of ORV use in Michigan, and that the public is invited to review and comment on the plan. The plan provides strategic direction for the management of ORV use on public lands administered by the Department of Natural Resources.
:
:
Full Press Release
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153--124134--,00.html

Michigan ORV Plan 2005 - Entire Draft
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ORVFullPlan_133074_7.pdf

Michigan ORV Plan 2005 - Powerpoint Summary
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/UpdatingMichiganORVPlan_133102_7.8_1.ppt

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks Bill!

A quick review on my part found this section on page 60 VERY encouraging!

>>>>>>>>
Enduro Motorcycle Events
1. Target ORV motorcycle enduro event trail to sites of proposed timber
harvest (1-2 years out).
a. Rationale is that while this is a broader forest land management issue, it is at
the interface of land management and ORV use and is addressed in this plan.
Enduro ORV motorcycle events involve a temporary trail that is used for a
specific event, not providing any given rider an advantage by having longterm
familiarity with the course. After the event, the trail needs to be effaced.
This can be effectively and efficiently accomplished by the physical harvest of
timber and the resulting land management activities. This approach has
support of staff and field personnel in FMFM as well as by ORV motorcycle
event participants and organizers. It will require closer cooperation between
forest vegetation managers, trail/recreation managers and event organizers and
participants. Consideration of potential ORV events in the compartment
review process will be critical the success of this effort.
b. Fiscal implications appear minimal and in fact this may result in a savings as
the universe for such events is much better defined, they can be more easily
planned in advance and permitting may be a smoother process.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think we are already seeing the benefit of this - ie the new trail at the 2 Day event, and evidently the new trail upcoming at the Jackpine!

Who ever helped make this happen - THANKS!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Want to see some sobering numbers? These are forecasted sales for calendar year 2005, based on the analysis of available retail sales through May 2005. These figures include ATVs and non-registered off-road motorcycles only (source: DJB Associates / Dealernews).

Take a look at ATV sales compared to enduro/motocross bikes combined.

Sales.jpg

MX represents about 10% of sales, enduro about 17%, and ATV about 73%. :(

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for he link, status of the study has been the topic of recent discussions. I gave it a pretty good look. Positive statements about event trail for enduro's. Beyond that I don't see anything positive reguarding new trail, skinny cycle only stuff. In fact I'm reading the opposite into it. Several cycle only trails have been quadded out and widened in the last two years. Grand Traverse, Long Lake and Evart. They have all changed from 12" to 36" on the ground. The study rates all 3 as Good, no recomendations. Issues are mentioned with Thomahawk C loop with a suggestion to close it and making A & B loops more assessable to quads. Not long ago that was the finest single track in the Lower Peninsula. Cedar Creek has a protected butterfly issue, future doesn't look good. Last years meeting in Grayling, most suggestions were to add new, replace the worn out trail, parallel cycle only trail next to ORV trail. I hope I am missing something, just don't see much positive in the report.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
As long as the DNR in Lansing is political and the districts are Civil Service, there will be little change.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
I spent a couple of hours reading the draft last night. I am more encouraged. Several recomendations listed eco the comments from the Grayling meeting. Public comment on the plan need to be submitted by 9-12-04.

Copies of the draft Michigan ORV Plan are available on the DNR website at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-124024--,00.html.
A limited number of hard copies are available by contacting Diana Cosper by phone at 517-335-3284 or via email at cosperd@michigan.gov .
Written comments should be emailed to DNR-ORVPlanComments@michigan.gov , or citizens can mail written comments to DNR-Forest, Mineral and Fire Management, Attn: Steve Kubisiak, P.O. Box 30452, Lansing, MI 48909-7952. Comments must be postmarked no later than midnight Monday, Sept. 12.

The ORV fund currently has approx. $4,000,000 in unspent funds collected from sticker sales. The money is there, the plan has some good ideas, we need to get that checkbook opened up.

How can we be heard by Sept. 12? Toss in some ideas.

Matt R

Oct 9, 2004
TCTrailrider said:
...Public comment on the plan need to be submitted by 9-12-04.
QUOTE]

Oops, you made a typo... that should be Sept. 12, 2005.

For those of you who don't want to read the 86 page version, there is an executive summary (6 pages) here:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ORVPlanExecutiveSummary_133094_7.pdf

First, I would like to thank Dr. Nelson and the others for taking the time to prepare this plan. Being new to this sport, I found this plan to be educational for me. I recommend everyone who has an opinion on this ORV plan to take the time to a least email your comments to the address provided on the site. It doesn't hurt to try...

The suggestion that I emailed was to consider an ORV trail/area in SE Michigan. Those of us on the Michigan/Ohio border tend to drive to Maumee State Forest (in Ohio). I would really enjoy a riding area south of Ann Arbor. Due to the lack of state forest/rec areas in this region, a chuck of land or woods could be purchased and turned into a scramble area.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I hope they allocate some of that $4M towards improved signage...

P1010049.jpg

The due date for public comment is Monday, September 12th.... Take some time over this long weekend to submit yours.

:cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wow, great pics Smit-Dog! The people that bought my CR250 just went out there a few weeks ago and sent pictures where they were at in CO. I sure would like to get out there next summer.

If you're looking for a sign similar in MI, I know where to look.....

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Yo ! Matt R , I've been lucky enough to by some land and build a MX track and with enough woods to make a section loop through it also sometime soon .. I'm originally from Toledo and moved to S.E MI. . I know what your talking about when trying to find a place to ride . It should be big fun , but those darn liability issues !!..
" Four wheelers are for people who can't ride on two."

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
I'd like to see parallel trails like in Oscoda county north of County Line road. The quads have avoided using the single track when there is a wider quad trail and clearly marked signs. By clearly marked I don't mean those stupid yellow backed signs that are south of Oscoda. :coocoo: How many people are responsible enough to read the that whole paragraph explaining the yellow backing. They just look at the pretty picture of the quad and head on out. I don't know why they just didn't use a sign with a diagonal line through the quad.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
duckboy said:
By clearly marked I don't mean those stupid yellow backed signs that are south of Oscoda.

Yellow backers were only to help make the marking more visible and their study indicates people (riders reported) they were better able to see the markings compared to non-yellow backed orange triangles. That's part of the AuSable Pilot Project, DNR has the report on their web site.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
In refernce to the AuSable Pilot Project - the Yellow backed ORV triangles were and are a foolish idea. Here are two people contributing to poor signage ideas. One even goes as far as saying ... "designation of single-track for motorcycle trail is illegal"

DNR staffer - Lieutenant Mikula ..."yellow backers used in the AuSable Pilot Project... He feels it is a successful trail signing program and that it should be used statewide."

Paul Mulder, Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association ..."He expressed concern with ORV rider non-compliance in the AuSable Pilot area and suggested regulations be posted on bill boards... Futhermore He referenced - the Holton-Horseshoe environmental assessment and believes "designation of a single-track for motorcycle trail is illegal."

Top Bottom