rodH

Aug 17, 2005
OK, My bro and I are riding on Tues. I have a feeling it is gonna be very hot. I have heard that there is an area east of the "Sandhill" area called "Miller Canyon" close to Silverwood lake. Sound like I need a pass that can be purchased at the Silverwood Store (if that is what it is called?) and ride some trails and get a little coverage from the trees.

Anyone have any good directions or helpful tips on how to get there, where to ride, what to bring, etc.....?? Got a lot of info from this search site, anything else??

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rodH said:
called "Miller Canyon" close to Silverwood lake. Sound like I need a pass that can be purchased at the Silverwood Store

Anyone have any good directions or helpful tips on how to get there, where to ride, what to bring, etc.....?? Got a lot of info from this search site, anything else??

Rod.

Some great riding up there. You can purchase your Forest Adventure Pass at the gas station on the corner of hwy 138 and the 15 freeway next to the McDonalds. Better yet, go S/E on 138 to the ranger station on the right just before you get to Silverwood lake. You can get your pass there and also pick up a map of the trail system. It's a good thing to have with you. Some of the trails are green sticker and some are dual sport only. The map will tell you which one's are which.

Just past the lake there will be a long straight section of road with a sharp right turn at the end. Watch for a little road on the left with a sign that says Silverwood lake service road or maintainence road. Turn left there and then make a sharp right on the small dirt road to the right. Go down that road a little bit and you will see areas to park.

From there you can ride all the way to Lake Arrowhead, Fawnskin or Big Bear. Be sure to take lots of water with you. It gets pretty hot up there.

Have fun. :cool:

Last edited:

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Is there Red Sticker riding restricitions for silverwood lake area? I cannot seem to find clear and accurate info for that area.

BTW rodh, that riding is great up there, the gas station 89r referred to is easy access to get your pass and guaranteed to be open, occasionally the ranger office is closed. There are copies of maps at the miller canyon staging area, but if you can find a real map buy one as they are very detailed and accurate.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
OK, so it was very very cool on Tues, and my bro's pro-moto billet end cap (spark arrestor didn't show up yet) so we went to sand hill instead (the bikes are already red sticker, but I was talking to a ranger in Big Bear and he was telling me they are usually cool with it as long as we have a spark arrestor).

Ironically we saw a Ranger's truck parked about 3/4 of the way in, we just rode and didn't stop, as we were going through some single track a bit further, there was a ranger with a pad of art paper, he bearly even flinched when we went by (his back was to us). Its like we weren't even there (which is fine with me).

of course I go home from the ride and my bro's spark arrestor had arrived, figures.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Sounds great, we've had some good times at both Miller Canyon and the Sand Hill! We should be up for a Miller ride soon, if I can help it.

WD-fourD

Jan 17, 2005
I love riding up there. We went up memorial weekend, too many people in jeeps and guys flying down the wrong side of the trail. But non holiday weekends and especially weekdays should be pretty light. Just remember to keep to the right!

Top Bottom