nhockenb

Sep 23, 2006
Hi,
I have an 01 yz125. I ride about once a week trails and pit. I have had the bike for about 2 months now and have some shifting problems. After some of riding I have problems up shifting. This happens if i shut the bike down or if its running. Usually i can get out of first by pushing the shifter down hard then brining it up. i obviously cant try this to get to 3rd cuz it just goes down to 1st when i hit it down. The problem gets solved by changing the oil. i am running the dirtbike stuff they sell at the local shop. this is fine with me i can just keep changin it every couple rides but i am worried if this is just bandaiding a problem and going to result in something worse. I have a buddy on a cr125 who changes his oil about half as often as me and does it just as maintenance. i searched the old posts but every one says just change oil? am i going to blow this thing up??

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
It may just be a lack of previous maintenance (is the oil really nasty when you do change it?). You might want to change the oil more frequently (like after every ride) to get the gear box cleaned up and once that is done (when the oil looks better during the change intervals), it may shift fine for extended periods of time. Obviously make sure the clutch is adjusted properly. Changing the oil every other time is just good maintenance. I don’t always do it, an I don’t always need to, but when I put it off too long, my tranny tells me about it (i.e. harder shifting, up and down).

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Probably something worn, like a shift drum or maybe the actual claw/pawl whatever it's called that changes the shift drum. (edited to say: my feeble memory recalls shifting fork after re-reading my post!) LOL The shift fork could be bent.

I always use castrol 30w in my tranny's. Save some money since your changing it often and use a good grade 30w motor oil. (Like Castrol) My 2 cents.

Last edited:

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
Check the 2-stroke discussion forum. Lots of problems with newer YZ shifting. I wouldnt know if yours i similar, but worth a look!

Top Bottom