BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Mountain Bike Gas Electric Hybrid

OK, this may appeal to all the crazy tinkerers out there. I am thinking of building a gasoline electric hybrid powered bicycle for my kid. The idea started out with me wanting to get him a battery powered electric motor for his bicycle, the ZAP ZETA III which is an all in one unit sells for around $200. Then I got to thinking about using a weedeater engine which would run on gas. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ I can find small gasoline engines selling for between $150 and $200.(I can get a new weedeater engine starting at $69) My only concern with using the weedeater engine, is that I could run into problems with the law if the system was direct drive (we might be OK here in TX!) - So, my next thought was on combining the two technologies, have a small weadeater engine drive a DC generator, which in turn drives a DC motor. I can get a small gas engine which weighs about 8 pounds (4 stroke weighs about 13). This will in effect give me a small generator, which if designed correctly, could be put to use in other applications. On the bicycle itself I could fit the electric motor, have it run on the rear tire. I would then have the option of either running the bike off a gel type battery, or directly from the weedeater engine.

Now, I am not an auto electrician by any means, so I will need to get my head around using an AC or DC generator, and an AC or DC motor. Obviously what I am looking for is something which is lightweight, efficient, and relatively cheap to put together.

I don't know if this is an exercise in futility, so for now I am going to do some more research and digging on the subject. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
dead said:
Is this going to be a "bananna" seat bike? :)

Is that the old chopper style bike ?!

I am thinking of taking a chance with a chainsaw conversion - just direct drive it and see what happens, will probably have to play with the gearing so that I don't over gear it.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
A kid in my metalshop class mounted a weedeater engine on his bike. He put a sprocket on the weedeater shaft, and ran a chain from that one to the rear sprocket on the bike. The gear ratio is horribly wrong, so the bike doesn't have enough power to move. I mentioned this to my stepdad, and he said that he's seen people do this, but in order to get a usable gear ratio they mount a round rubber thing (that's the technical term for it I'm sure) onto the weedeater shaft, then have that sit on the rear tire to directly drive the tire. Hope this makes sense, good luck!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
running directly to the tire gives you the lowest gear ratio possible, small front 'sprocket' - huge rear 'sprocket' ...... I may just go this route ... find my a rubber thingy to do the trick ! ....:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom