inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I've gone through my fair share of 2-strokes: a YZ250, CR250 and now a KX250 and I've loved em all. But I can't help but wonder if a 4-stroke, to be more specific a YZF250 or CRF250, would be better suited for me. I'm 5'10 150lbs so I'm sure the power would be enough for me. I've never ridden a 4 stroke, but from what I've read, I'm intrigued by the "tractor" style pull and the more forgiving ride (in comparison to 2ts).

Anyone here that has made the switch from a 2t to a 4t and noticed that their riding ability seemed better on a 4t? I know its not all about the bike but mostly rider skill, but my understanding is you really need to get a bike that's more suited for you and your riding style. Don't get me wrong, I love the excitement of my KX250 and how its all balls to the wall, but I can't help but wonder if I'd be a better rider on a 250f.

Note: I couldn't go any newer than an 02 though, since that was the last year of the green sticker and I like to ride in the summer.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
I don't know where your going to find a 250f that was made in 02 as I think (but maybe wrong that it wasn't until 04 that the 250f's came out, But as far as your question on whether the switch to a 250f would be in your best bet, I am defiantly faster on the 4 strokes, than 2 simply cause there easier to ride and be lazy on, Cornering is so much easier as you don't have to worry about cornering speed momentum, but Getting used to engine braking takes a bit to get used to but I like it. But everyone's different, But in my opinion nothing compares to going full tilt on a 125two.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Well, if you want an 02 the yz-f is the only option. Buying a 250f that old can be very risky. I came off an 02 rm250 onto the crf250. I am a WAY more confident rider now. I have much better control of the bike than when I was on the 250 smoker. That being said, I am not a great rider especially on a very fast bike. The 250f is smooth and torquey with a very wide spread of power. You will miss the balls to the wall fast top end of a smoker though. Just hammering down a straightaway on the 250f isn't all that exciting. Where it gets exciting is when you get into some technical sections and blow by all your buddies on bigger bikes. ;)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
01 is the first year of the yz250f. Honda did not come out with the crf250 until 04 with the kawasuki 250f

the 250 2stroke has about 10hp more then a 250f motor. the 250f is smooth and will help you learn lines, corners, and control. depending on the tracks you ride, you will eventually be wanting more power and go back to a 250 smoker or probably step into a 450f.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Ah that sucks! Didn't realize that they were that relatively new. How risky would it be to get an 02 YZ250F? Would I be dumping a lot of money into it to get it to a comfortable point (maintenance wise)?

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Also, are there any newer 250Fs that have green stickers? I know its an emissions thing, and I noticed someone from another board got a brand new KTM that had a green sticker on it. I'd love to get a new bike but the thought of missing all this great riding weather because of a red colored sticker makes my stomach turn :(

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I completely agree! Unfortunately California is the place to be when it comes to my line of work, and until I retire I'm at the Bay Area's mercy :(

Timmay#678

Aug 29, 2007
Don't go 250f or 4stroke!!! Yeh sure ya will be a little quicker, but they are boring, wayy too easy to ride and take all the fun out of mx. I've a yz125 and a yz250f, I race every weekend on the 250f just for the vain fact that I'm quicker on it and am chasing a championship this year.

I was always quick enough on the 125, but only really use it for practicing these days. Its hard enough trying to adjust to swapping over between bikes, and when I hop back up on the 125 I don't have great confidence because of the lack of engine breaking and power hit. Next year when I'm moved up a class, the 250f is going and its 2stroke and funfun all the way for me, nothing like an underdog on a 125 mixing it with all them 4strokes!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
inotocracy said:
I completely agree! Unfortunately California is the place to be when it comes to my line of work, and until I retire I'm at the Bay Area's mercy :(
Yeah, well, milk the cow while you can right? :cool:

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Timmay#678 said:
Don't go 250f or 4stroke!!! Yeh sure ya will be a little quicker, but they are boring, wayy too easy to ride and take all the fun out of mx. I've a yz125 and a yz250f, I race every weekend on the 250f just for the vain fact that I'm quicker on it and am chasing a championship this year.

Thats exactly why I want one ;) I just want to see how much more confident it will make me as a rider, and how much of an improvement it can make. I'll always have the option to go back to KX250 if I wanted.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
came off a cr250 and on to my first 4stroke - ktm400. i dont race mx just ride trails etc.. i was fairly quick on the cr and i loved the power but i find the ktm easier to ride and it doesnt wear me out as fast as the honda did. that is the biggest difference for me, as im mid 30's and only get to ride every now and then. if i was younger and fitter the 2t would still be my pick of bike. i have found the 4t costs me more to maintain/repair. but wheen riding i find gear selection is not such an issue as on a 2t, you just twist it in any gear and the power is there..... cant comment on the whole green sticker deal, here in New Zealand there are no such laws (yet).
good luck with your choice.
steve.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey!!! I thought it was only 2003 and newer 2 strokes that couldn't be green stickered(here in Commiefornia),but that any 4 stroke could. I may be wrong,but look into it just to be sure. flap

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Maybe it is just the trail bikes,or maybe it's just a matter of a spark arrestor. I don't know....I'd look into it. Tell you what.....buy a brand new 250 or 450 4 stroke race bike and I'll trade you for my 02 green stickered YZF 426! Did you hear me...green stickered!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
flapwick said:
my 02 green stickered YZF 426! Did you hear me...green stickered!

Hey flap.

Did ya know you can get a license plate for that? I have an '02 CRF450R that is street legal here in Kalifornia. Ok, that was a lie. It's licensed for the street, not necessarily street legal. ;)

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
i just bought an 08 crf 450. new in the box! i have been riding a yz 139 and my trusty yz 250 smoker. i rode a friends kx 450 at practice one night and when i came off the track my wife looked at me and said i was allmost 2 seconds faster on the 450 than i was on my 250! i thought man i must really suck on my 250! then i went out on my 139 and was only 2 seconds slower than the 450! so i bought the 450. pick it up this week. my luck i will be 5 seconds slower than the 250! haha!!

Grandprix168

Nov 8, 2009
My son and I own both YZ125 and CRF250R. He absolutely loves the YZ125 and I don't think he would even consider a 250F at this point until he weighs more and feels need for more power.

Mar 18, 2006
you could do some work to your kx to tame it down a bit? The 250 smoker is the most reliable dirt bike. Something to consider until you can afford a newer 4 stroke?

squale147

Nov 22, 2009
im also making the switch to a 250f.. i have been riding 125/250s all my life...this will be my first time away from a 2-stroke in years... i guess time will tell

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
squale147 said:
im also making the switch to a 250f.. i have been riding 125/250s all my life...this will be my first time away from a 2-stroke in years... i guess time will tell
Be sure to enlarge the maintenance budget.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
_JOE_ said:
Be sure to enlarge the maintenance budget.
Here I am, kind of an old man now. I'm reading along... hoping this whole 4-stroke thing is gunna start to sound logical, and then you have to bring reality into the picture!

I'm kinda feeling sorry for you guys that bought into the 4-stroke thing, and have to talk yourselves into it being "wise" just to rationalize all the big money spent/spending.

Old school rocks... sorry

:boss: ... :p

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Here I am, kind of an old man now. I'm reading along... hoping this whole 4-stroke thing is gunna start to sound logical, and then you have to bring reality into the picture!

I'm kinda feeling sorry for you guys that bought into the 4-stroke thing, and have to talk yourselves into it being "wise" just to rationalize all the big money spent/spending.

Old school rocks... sorry

:boss: ... :p
:rotfl: I went into the 4 stroke thing expecting what I got. Other than the cost of maintanance it's a wonderful bike.

Top Bottom