jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
For trail riders, there are very limited 2 stroke options. I know people buy 250 MX bikes, install woods pipes, and gear them down, but that doesnt create an ideal woods bike...ie, small tank, not ideal low end power, its geared so low there is no top end speed, etc. Once you outgrow the KDX 220, your options are the KTM 300 and thats about it. Trail riders have more or less been forced into the cost of maintenance. We can thank the big 4 for that...I havent talked myself into anything.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
im thinking about picking up a rmz450 im about 5'11 150 think im be good on it?..i love the 2 strokes but the power in these 4 strokes are awesome.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
robwbright said:
Did the law change? I currently have a 2003 YZ250f which has a Cali green sticker on it.

2 strokes and "non-eligible" 4 strokes are "red sticker" 2003 and newer. There may have been some that snuck through because the DMV didn't get their act together. The law was originally 1997 and newer, but the DMV messed up so bad, that they had to grandfather 2002 and earlier bikes to green sticker and start fresh. There are green sticky four strokes (any year) such as the 250X, a few KTM offroad models, the 450 KLX, etc , etc - off road 4 strokes in general. 2 strokes 2003 and later are not eliglble for green stickies.

A 2003 YZ250F is legally red sticker (to date, there has not been a green sticky 4 stroke motocross model 2003 and later). The stickers are renewed evey 2 years, so the DMV could still catch the error every time renew. Since you are in the east, I'm not sure why you have any kind of sticker - has it expired?

And then there's the part about the 8 th digit - which I forget exactly how the heck it goes and I don't care anyway. When this subect comes up, it's better just to discuss 2010 models - it's easier.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
holeshot said:
Since you are in the east, I'm not sure why you have any kind of sticker - has it expired?

The bike was a Cali bike - 03 YZ250f. The guy was a desert racer. I'm sure the sticker is expired.

He sold it to a friend of a friend about 2 months ago. The Cali guy had blown the motor and rebuilt it right before he moved to this area.

The 2nd owner local guy is an ATV guy and was not experienced on 2 wheels. He was intimidated by it and sold it to me for $1000 - Tag Metals triple clamps and bars, full Yoshi TI exhaust, Race Tech suspension, GPR V1 Steering Stabilizer, rebuilt motor, ARC "bendy" brake lever, billet clutch level mount with hot start. Valves are in spec. Needed Chain and sprockets and tires are about 40% worn. The fork seals are leaking.

The plastics aren't pretty, but I bought all new plastics and graphics and will be doing a complete tear down, painting frame, having suspension rebuilt, etc. . . over the winter.

Seemed like a steal to me. If the motor blows, I'll part it out.

I sold my 02 EG RM 144 to my bro for $900 . . .

Top Bottom