por2gezo

Jun 11, 2007
Its a 2000 CR250r that for some reason is acting up on me.

Here is what is happening.

Does not want to start on the second, third kick like it used to.

Once I get it started with the choke on it idles really high and now need to really let it run like that for a while to be aboe to take it off the choke, but still idels really high for my taste with the choke off.

Now here goes ... I put it in gear , ride it about 20 ft and BAM! it starts reving to high RPMs on its own ... I then have to hit the kill switch, catch my breath

After my last ride and this happening to me mid way up a hill climb and the bike physically throwing me off the cliff ... I thought it was the throttle cable ... I have since bought one that is in the garage, but after all that is happening with the way it runs I am leaning towards it being something to do with the carburetor.

Thoughts ?

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Could be an air leak. Check the boot seal and the boot for a crack.
Or could be a bit of water in the fuel bowl leaning it out so drain it and see. Just a couple thing to look at.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like an air leak between the carb and engine. Check the boot and reed cage seal.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
An air leak can explain a fast idle, especially if you have re-adjusted the idle mixture recently.

An air leak can't possibly explain an uncontrolled surge in power going up a hill unless your overall mixture was horribly rich to start with.

A tiny amount of water in the bowl would not change anything, it wouldn't make any difference to the jetting as long as the water didn't enter the jet. If the water entered the jet, the bike just wouldn't run.

I suspect that the problem is the throttle cable. It is either sticking and not allowing the carburetor to return to idle or something has managed to reroute the cable and it gets tugged on as you turn the handlebars. If you have a new cable, put it on and see if that fixes your problem.

You should also inspect the twist grip and make sure it operates freely and will return to the idle position properly.

If it isn't the cable then I would suspect that something is going wrong inside the carburetor to keep the throttle slide from returning to idle position.

Rod

digifox

May 25, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
A tiny amount of water in the bowl would not change anything, it wouldn't make any difference to the jetting as long as the water didn't enter the jet. If the water entered the jet, the bike just wouldn't run.

That could not be farther from the truth :whoa:
I speak from experience..

A tiny amount of water in the bottom of the bowl can and will cause your bike to run lean/Self rev.
The suction of the intake pulls the fuel up the jet and will ALSO pull up water, the jet will only flow so much and you can lean out on water...TRUST ME!

Had it happen to my Ninja, i thought it was in a cable at first or maybe a sticking slide....Nope just a wee bit of water in the bowl, drained it out ran like it should....

____

So FIRST i suggest you Drain your bowl, its quick and easy...and if thats not the problem your only out a few ounces of gas and about 2min time :ohmy:

It might also be something clogging a jet/passage in the carb.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
digifox said:
The suction of the intake pulls the fuel up the jet and will ALSO pull up water, the jet will only flow so much and you can lean out on water...

Water and gas do not mix, they will form two separate layers in the float bowl.

The jet does not draft from the very bottom, it is a little bit up. If you had a drop of water in the float bowl it would probably sit in a corner and never get near the jet. If you have a small puddle of water in the bottom of the bowl it would move about as you rode the bike. If it made it into a jet it would cause the engine to miss badly for a beat or two.

If you got a bunch of water into the carburetor so that the layer of water covered the jet then the bike just wouldn't run. Water is heavier than gas so the water would completely block the jet from getting any fuel at all.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Water and gas do not mix, they will form two separate layers in the float bowl.

The jet does not draft from the very bottom, it is a little bit up. If you had a drop of water in the float bowl it would probably sit in a corner and never get near the jet. If you have a small puddle of water in the bottom of the bowl it would move about as you rode the bike. If it made it into a jet it would cause the engine to miss badly for a beat or two.

If you got a bunch of water into the carburetor so that the layer of water covered the jet then the bike just wouldn't run. Water is heavier than gas so the water would completely block the jet from getting any fuel at all.

That may be true for a static vessel like a glass setting on a table. But the fuel bowl is dynamistic more like a washing machine... the fuel vibrates and is sloshed about. So a drop of water can and will dance about the jet causing erratic (possessed) behavior. Take some pre mixed fuel and a bit of water and shake it up in jar. The water will suspended in the fuel in small droplets and will take a bit of time to separate.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
por2gezo said:
I changed the plug ... it did not fix it .
And you took pictures of it and posted it where? Seriously, did you look at it? Did it show detonation, lean or rich? Parts falling off? What color was the ceramic? How did the electrode look? Geez, was the gap correct?

CR4Life

Jan 26, 2009
high idle

por2gezo said:
Its a 2000 CR250r that for some reason is acting up on me.

Here is what is happening.

Does not want to start on the second, third kick like it used to.

Once I get it started with the choke on it idles really high and now need to really let it run like that for a while to be aboe to take it off the choke, but still idels really high for my taste with the choke off.

Now here goes ... I put it in gear , ride it about 20 ft and BAM! it starts reving to high RPMs on its own ... I then have to hit the kill switch, catch my breath

After my last ride and this happening to me mid way up a hill climb and the bike physically throwing me off the cliff ... I thought it was the throttle cable ... I have since bought one that is in the garage, but after all that is happening with the way it runs I am leaning towards it being something to do with the carburetor.

Thoughts ?
i wuld check any vacuum lines or holes in the intake boot...i had the same problem but it was b/c the throttle cable was adjusted to tight...try loosening it up by the twist throttle before u check anything else

Top Bottom