renes

Apr 7, 2002
I bought a 1999 YZ250 and found a bunch of rust inside the forks. It looks like the guy pressure washed the forks before putting the bike away for the winter (idiot). Anyway, I pulled the cartridge apart and buffed off all the rust. But now the rods are pitted and I'm worried that I am now getting blow by on the cartridge cap seal. Does anyone think this will make a big difference on the forks performance? The reason I ask is that the forks deflect off rocks and bumps alot and feel extremely harsh so I want to try to start tuning the fork for woods riding. But if the rod pitting is a really bad thing then I won't even bother.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont know a technical answer fo rthis, but one set of forks I use has pitted rods. The forks perform very well. I hope someone in the know answers this for us!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It depends on what damage was done to the seal/bush at the top of the cartridge, it maybe after buffing them its not going to cause major issues, ive seen kybs with reallty worn bushes at the top of the cart, they still worked as a fork should.

renes

Apr 7, 2002
I did try one test to see how well the seal was. I poured a small amount of oil inside the top of the cap seal and slid it up and down on the rod. I did not see oil residue on the rod under the seal. So I believe the seal is working with not pressure behind it. But I'm more worried about blow by when there is pressure on the seal. Any blow by could probably effect the performance and make it difficult for me to tune the forks. The forks are together so I can't take pictures to show the pitting. Maybe later this week I'll pull them apart again.

Top Bottom