Narrowest, lightest, most manueverable MX/FMX bike?

DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
I own a 98 Kaw Kx 250.. I think its time to buy a new bike. I ride MX and FMX, and my Kx has always felt a bit bigger, wider, and heavier than the other bikes. I was wanting to know if anyone knows which bike (2002 YZ, RM, KX, SX) is the lightest. Im NOT trying to start a brand war here... just wanted to know who makes the lightest, most flickable, MX'er these days. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, are the new super 4-strokes (YZF, CRF) manueverable enough to ride FMX? Ive never seen any pro FMX'ers on them yet except for Trevor Vines, who was on a Yz426F.. and now back on a 2-stroke. Just need some of you're opinions. Thank you very much.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
If you want something lighter than your kx, I don't think a 4 stroke is the way to go. As for something flickable...from my personal experience, the RMs are pretty thin and light. Are you for sure getting a 250? You would save a good deal of weight by going with a 125...just a thought

DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
Sorry, I forgot to add that yes I'll only be buying a 250. On my local track, we dont have a freestyle ramp, just a huge triple right out of a hard left hand corner with only about 25-30 ft of a run'n'go to clear it.. I'm not brave enough to try it on a 125, ive seen it done, but id rather not, i wanna keep the rubber side down ;)
Thank you for your opinion, I'll be sure to check out an RM250.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I have seen one other pro FMXer on a 426 besides Vines, but a 4-stroke is probably not what you're looking for. My CR250 feels light in the air, but I have also heard good things about the RM in the light, and flickable category.

DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
I've been to dealerships today and sat on several bikes and just totally looked them over. I have narrowed it down between a Yz250 and a Rm250. The RM felt slimmer, but the Yz felt lighter and was more comfortable and had more room to move around on the seat. The only thing im stuck with is suspension... The RM and YZ both felt identical there to me.. I want the stiffest stock suspension I can possibly buy, so I wont have to soak as much money into it as I had to do with my Kx. I know stock suspension WILL NOT be adequate for FMX.. but I'm looking for a bike that I can use the stock forks, and only install stiffer springs.. anyhow, which bike is going to have the suspension im looking for? Thanx for your opinons.

DareDevil

Jun 7, 2002
Oh, and to avoid any brand war stuff.. when I said the RM felt slimmer and the YZ felt more comfortable and stuff, that was just my opinion. I also forgot to mention my height, weight and stuff.. if anyone knows bikes that work well with bigger guys... I'm 6' tall, and weigh about 185lbs.. I'm a B class rider and I ride a few MX's a season, an FMX wherever one is being held that I can get to, and then just playride in rock quarry's where I live and woods ride. Thanx

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
Is Honda out of the running order? I believe that they are the slimmest and possibly one of the lightest :think: If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I went from a 98 kx 125 to a 02 cr 125 and it was a night and day difference for bulkyness and weight.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
i know that my friends rm250 FEELS slimmer and looks slimer that my cr, but I feel that my cr is very manuvarable, of course it all comes down to personal preference. (i love the cr frame feels great)

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
2002 RM 250

I have a 2001 RM 125 and it is by far the most maneuverable 125 of 2001.. I would think that the same "sleek" and "lightweight" feel would carry onto the 01' 250, as well as '02..

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I rode the yz, cr and rm back to back before I got the Zook. I have been on Yamaha's for the last 4 years and I still love them but I was coming off a 125 so I wanted a 250 I could charge on. The RM was the best bike for me it feels light , narrow and the power is smooth and easy to ride. I think the Yamaha has better suspension out of the box, for mx, the Zook was bad befor I had it done. Seeing that you don't want to get into any brand wars I won't tell you all of the stuff thats fallen off my RM in the few months I've owned it. If you realy are a daredevil why don't you get a 883 and jump it? :moon: HAHAHA good luck and buy the yamaha.

Last edited:

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I have a 2002 RM 250. All of my friends ride 2002 CRs. Yes, the CRs may be a bit lighter in the scale, but on the track there is no comparison. The RM feels like a super fast 125. Really easy to throw around in the air and ground. The CRs feel a bit wider at the knees and boots and heavier in the air.
I have not ridden the new YZs, but I will tell you that the RM's suspension will need springs and revalve for MX or FMX. The damping is just not good enough for big landings. I've heard that the YZ suspension is a little better at bottoming control. But, I bet you could get an RM for a few $100 cheaper than a YZ, so you'd end up spending about the same anyway.
I hope this info helps!

Super Rat - I have not had anything fall off my bike or break w/o help from me! Are you not giving your bike the TLC that it deserves?? ;)

yzeater - I THINK you feel the frame stiffness in turns and on rough straits, not landings or jump faces :think:

Last edited:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I have not had anything fall off my bike or break w/o help from me! Are you not giving your bike the TLC that it deserves??

Well nothing is going to fall off when you are not riding it. :p How's the ankle? I'm just a quality snob and coming off Yamaha's I can tell ya that the RM is not in the same boat. My RM is only a few months old and more stuff has fallen off or broke on it than I'm used to on a yz 125 for a whole season!!!! That being said I will be buying a new RM 125 in the next week or so, I love the way they go!!!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by super rat

I'm just a quality snob and coming off Yamaha's I can tell ya that the RM is not in the same boat.

In your experience that may be true. I'm sure others experienced otherwise.

Now lets just leave it at that.

Quality is important. If you know of a flaw in a bike not related to poor maintenance then post it in the appropriate forum and we'll keep the members updated. For example, in the Thumper Forum there is a thread about the cranks on the YZ250F. It is something that we were trying to gather info on to help out members.

Ivan

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Sorry, RM clutches are real good too. I'm just trying too help out too. I have owned alot of Zooks, I like the way the go but I'm not blind I can see how the are made compared to Honda or Yamaha's. I'll dorp it.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Kenny Bartram had a 250f not to long ago. Honda frames may be stiff but I've seen on a couple of the '01 '02 the plastic was rubing grooves in the frame.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
sRat

Well nothing is going to fall off when you are not riding it.

YEAH, WELL ... WHEN I DO RIDE IT, I RIDE HARD!!! :p

I knew someone was going to say that! Actually, just rode for the first time Sunday. Felt pretty good considering the new beer gut that I have to carry around. Ankle is a bit stiff, but not too bad. I'm not limping from the ankle as much as the soreness from a good, old fashioned high side and subsequent rag-doll! :eek: Bike ran great, though. Seat didn't fall off over the jumps or anything! :cool:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I'm glad to hear your back on the bike los :) . Rag doll? Dude,take it easy for alittle while. Make sure you are healthy for dirt week so I can show you the short way around the track :p HAHAHA I'm just messing with ya!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom