herkulese

Apr 16, 2005
I am considering buying a couple of used dirt bikes, one for me, and one for my son.

We have friends that are into dirt bikes and atvs, and they have 30 acres of wooded land that we can ride on.

We would be riding in woods and fields with these friends. We would not be racing, but riding for pleasure and the occasional thrill.

I am 50 years old, 6'-2" tall, weigh 245lbs, and am in moderately good condition
My son is 16 years old, 5'-11" tall and weighs 185lbs, he is large, bur not fat, in good condition, and I believe that he will get a bit bigger.

I had a small Kawasaki Trail 90 when I was an early teenager, but no bike since then. My son has never ridden a motor bike of any kind.

I believe that I would prefer 4 stroke engines, as we would like to be able to ride anywhere that we feel like, without the noise and pollution issue being the deciding factor.

I am thinking that 175cc and 250cc, or possibly a pare of 250 (2 stroke comparable) machines might do the trick.

Any suggestions on the best to buy?
Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Regarding 2 vs 4 stroke, many folks feel the sound of a 4 stroke carries farther.

Bike choices are difficult at best. How much do you want to spend total? There are a number of good 250F bikes out there that would serve either of you well. My first choice would be the Honda. Yamaha has a nice one as well. The KTM version in the used market has a reputation as being underpowered and KTM is bringing to the market now a new 250F to replace it. Only the SX version is here, with the EXC version expected in August. This might drive down the prices of the KTMs in the used market. Almost all of the 250Fs can be punched out and there are complete kits floating out there for Yamaha and KTM bikes.

I am about the same height as your son and tip the scales at #160. I have a KTM 200MXC (2 stroke) that I love in tight conditions and a KTM 400MXC (4 stroke) that I ride primarily in more open conditions. My son (6'-0" / 220# or so) rides the 400 with me in the tight trails. Both of us have short legs and the 200 has been lowered 2 inches (suspension and seat) while the 400 has had the rear subframe shortened enough to lower the seat about an inch. I am much more confident on the 200 in the woods, because my feet are closer to the ground. I cannot flatfoot, but I almost can.

Although 4 strokes don't require the preparation necessary (mixing gas/oil) they do require frequent oil changes and you need to pay close attention to the valve train in order to keep from dropping a valve and grenading an engine. Rich can speak volumes about the damage they see at Eric's shop.

As far as bike selections, use search and check out threads on the various bikes I mentioned.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
If the bikes are really just for pleasure riding and not performance oriented, the KDX 200 or XR 400 are both reliable, inexpensive to buy and own, and more than adequate.

In a year or two, if you've progressed to the point where you're looking for more bike, they will sell for nearly what you paid. The KDX is a two stroke, but is about the quietest dirt bike made. You're both big lads, so a featherweight racing bike isn't really a primary concern. I hope you get hooked on riding together, and find an activity you can enjoy in each others' company.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom