Need ignition system help-03 RM250

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
2003 RM250. While riding the bike when instant dead. No spark, changed plug still no spark. Took off tank and there is a broken yellow wire just hanging there, looks like a fresh break. I have the manual and this wire seems to be "extra." It comes from the stator bus, but does not go into the plug (that feeds the CDI). So there are the 6 wires from the stator bus that go directly into the plug (including the yellow wire that is on the wiring digram) PLUS this 7th yellow wire.

1. Is this an extra wire for an accessories that should be left hanging? If not, where does it go.

2. Testing the coil, the secondary value should be 13-20K Ohms. It tests at 5-4M (not K) Ohm. My testor has been sitting awhile so I still need to verify the readings. If correct, could this be the problem.

3. It was late (like 2 am) and I started to test the CDI box. After a few reading that did not make sense, I realized that I had it set to Volts (DC) :bang: . I switched to diode and then got some values in range (or close enough) but several (3 entire rows) that gave no results. I have read that CDI tests are not accurate. OR, did I fry my CDI? Using a Voltage test, I would not think it would hurt it.

4. I did disconnect the kill switch, still no spark.

5. I want to check the ground, but where is it?

Thanks, I have races the next 2 weekend and would need to get the right parts ordered today.

500guy

Aug 4, 2004
Looks like I found the problem.

The extra wire was a second yellow wire, not green. I stipped off some of the plug wire, to the coil, and cleaned the inside of the cap and the resistance was right on.

I checked all of the voltage outputs from the stator and they were are very low to non-existant. I was using a digital meter and I was concerned that it wasd just not registering quickly enough. Then I took the stator off and 2 of the wire were worn bare and shorting. The same "extra" yellow" wire goes to a coil and that coil was shorted to the stator. I would guess that extra hot yellow wire, that was loose, shorted under the tank and did the stator in. Sound right???

Top Bottom