Need More Speed Suzuki RM 65 & Honda CRF50

kadrabi

Mar 19, 2005
My 10 yr. old son races a 03' Suzuki RM 65 & a 04' Honda 50. He rides in the Stock Beginners 65CC & the Stock Beginners 50CC class. He is a pretty good rider, however, the last two races that were held, they mixed the riders with "Advanced & Beginners." On top of that, majority of the "Advanced" riders have bikes that are modified. Even though my son rides well, up and up, his bike can't hold up to the modified ones, and they basically leave him in the dust. I wanted to know if there is any tricks or tips to hop up his two bikes, without spending a fortune, or better yet, nothing at all. Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks! Albert

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
welll i don't know if you will ba able to do this w/out spending ANY money but try messing with the gearing. this is a cheap way to adjust where the powerband will come in. al after market reeds will also help. i prefer boyeson carbon fiber reeds. try an aftermarket air filter if you still have the stock one. remember that if you do any of these things you may need to rejet the carb.

swett

Riding it like I stole it
Mar 13, 2005
On the CRF50, an aftermarket cdi box like a takegawa will raise the stock rev limiter to 12,500 RPM vs. 9500 stock. Maybe a cam K&N or UNI filter. Besides my suspension, ( I weigh 170#) all I've done to mine is a cdi box, exhaust , crankcase breather and a K&N filter. I can leave stock 50's w/ kids that weigh 80#. CDI boxes you can get on eboo for $50 or so. Hope this might help.

Swett

kadrabi

Mar 19, 2005
Thank you very much both of you, for your replies. You both have lead me in the direction I need to go in. First of all, I sure do still have the stock air filter on that came with the bike. I will definitely change that and knock on wood that I have an easy time rejetting the carb etc. I have a set of reeds, however, it is to big, so I need to go shopping for that. I will shopfor the Boyeson Carbon Fiber Reeds as you suggested.

Swett, surely I need to get a CDI Box to raise the rev limiter. I did not realize what a big difference it is for the RPM's. That will surely get him going on the straight aways. The straight aways is where the modified bikes pass him on a fly, and granted the bike is at its absolute fastest at that point. Another advantage my son has is that he is a tall 10 yr. old, but lanky, weighing 62 lbs. soaking wet with rubber boots on).

I will be quite busy this upcoming week. Thanks again to the both of you for the great suggestions. I'll let you know how he does in the next race which is next weekend.

Albert

Top Bottom