Need some fork seal replacement advice

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
My fork seals have bit the dust allready and I have another set on the way. You guys got any advice for a first time fork seal replacement? I have the manual and replaced several sets in the KDX (conventional forks) so it is not "totally" foreign to me. I have heard that the WP forks can be a real pain to get apart. Any advice at this point would be appreciated.

Also anyone have any advice on how to make them last more than 6 months?

Thanks in advance

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Mike do you have seal savers on that orange beast yet? I just put them on Aimee's katoom and mine are on the shelf waiting to be installed. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Also try spraying the tubes with WD40 before every ride and wiping them down. I think leaving some dried mud on the 200 was the big reason she was going through them so fast.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Eddie, No seal savers' yet. That is on the birthday wish list. I am pretty anal about cleaning so I feel pretty sure that it is not due to dried up dirt. I also WD40 the whole dang bike (welll almost) after each washing.

I read somewhere that there is a washer or shim or something that is easy to bend if you dont disassemble correctly? Anyone else heard of this?

Slow Dave

Jan 4, 2002
There is an aluminum washer between the seal and the lower DU bushing that gets cupped if you are a bit too enthusiastic with your disassembly, you can either replace them with the seals and wipers or carfefully flatten out
Slow Dave

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
You might strip the nut on the compression stack if your not careful that's about it. There's a free WP fork manual available to download. I'd post the link but don't think I can. Maybe a subscriber will help you out.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
There is a WP fork manual on the gasgas rider's club website at www.gasgasrider.org. Look under "manuals" - Watch out for the subliminal messages while your are there! You may have the urge to ride a GG after your visit. ;-)

BTW - warming the area around the fixed bushings makes em a bit easier to get apart...

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Dave, That is exactly what I was talking about. Seems like I read it on KTMTalk. Maybe I will just go and buy two new ones before I start and then when I "bend" them (and I probably will) I wont be making a run to the local bike shop.

Jeff, I have allready downloaded and printed the manual. Thanks a bunch.

Gardener, Thanks for the heads up.

Any more tips folks?  

CR REV

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
If you have any trouble or questions post on the suspension forum. The guys there are friendly and helpful with new guys like me. (Thanks Marcus) I just helped a friends with his WP's and no problems. The guys here already told you what to look out for.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom