Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
Hi everyone im Georgi,Im from Bulgaria.Im new in dirtbikes and i want to ask what bike a should buy?Im 16 almost 17, 182 hight and 75kg.I dont have any motor until now.I look this models:
1.Kawasaki kx250F
2.Yamaha yz250F
3.Honda CRF250R
4.KTM 250sx-F

Thanks if you can help me :)

dirt.rider1

May 23, 2012
welcome Georgi,

if you are planing to start racing, then KTM's are a good choice. however, parts for KTM's are normally more expensive.

if you are not gonna race then id choose honda then a yamy..... i hav'nt heard much good bout kawasaki's :|

-dirt.rider1

---------------------
2002 CR80RB
1987 RM80
2001 Sportrax 300ex
2003 Sportrax 250ex
1986 Fourtrax 125

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
dirt.rider1 said:
welcome Georgi,

if you are planing to start racing, then KTM's are a good choice. however, parts for KTM's are normally more expensive.

if you are not gonna race then id choose honda then a yamy..... i hav'nt heard much good bout kawasaki's :|

-dirt.rider1

---------------------
2002 CR80RB
1987 RM80
2001 Sportrax 300ex
2003 Sportrax 250ex
1986 Fourtrax 125

Wow, that's some uh... well. It's "advice".
Care to fill us in on how you came to those conclusions?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
And WElcome Flash...

If you want an EDUCATED response;
Answer these questions:

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Post those and your answers in this forum:
(What Bike Do I Get)
here: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
1)Im 185 height and 160lbs :)
2)I training a lot(streetfitnes and basketball) i think im strong for my years :) Im not very aggressive.
3)I dont realy know what is MX or SX but i will not ride on track.In my town have old vineyard and have good jumps,ways and is free to ride.If you want to tell you more ask (sorry for that i dont know what is MX and SX)
4)NO this will be my first motor ever!
5) I dont think i will race but if i find a track i may go to try it
6)I have little bit of experience , but my dad will help me if i need to repair somethin or when i need to cleane it.
7) Yes i chose 4-stoke because i know its easier for begining:)
8)Honda have shope in my town only.But im dosent enter to see what have in.
9) I plan to spen around 3000$ (whit equipment)
10)No sorry i live in Bulgeria/Burgas
11) im 16 almost 17
12) I think to buse used bike,because i will fall when i studi to drive it.I will spedn 2500$ for bike.but if I need i will save money.

Georgi

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
As your very first moto I'd opt for an inexpensive chinese enduro make believe. Parts a re cheap and easy to work on. When you get onto the border of what the bike can do, not much I admit compared to a real MX (motocross) bike but till then you have gained some experiences which are very useful when choosing the next bike.

I went for a 125 2 smoker (1995) after the chinese horse :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The bikes you listed are high performance, high maintenance and high budget. I would opt for something more like a trail bike for your first bike. It will be more forgiving when you make mistakes and much less maintenance. You'll get some experience with changing oil and cleaning the air filter while not having to worry about more complex things like valve clearances and piston changes. Tires, chain and sprockets and brakes will last longer too. Once you're comfortable and feel like you're outriding the bike you can sell it and buy a race bike, just be sure you have a healthy budget for maintenance.

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
Ooo i may ride and in the woods.So you suggest me to buy a enduro?Ok but what bike :)And i heard 4stoke is better for nebues but what do you suggest me 2sotke 125cc or 4stoke 250cc?

Last edited:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
As I said a chinese make believe enduro with 200cc or even 250 cc will do fine for a new rider. IMO the most important skill one has to master is to separate from the bike when a crash approaches. Bones are somewhat softer than alu or steel.

It worked for me.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I would recommend staying away from the Chinese knock-offs. Especially a 200 or 250cc. Some of the smaller one's aren't too bad but most of them are crap and parts are hard to find. If you can't fix it yourself, good luck finding a shop that will work on one. Might be better for you to find a good used 125 or 250 two stroke. Any of the four major brands are good, parts are still available and a two stroke is pretty easy to work on even for a beginner. If you take good care of it you will be able to get as much as you paid for it when you sell it to upgrade to a better bike. You would be lucky to sell a used Chinese knock-off at all much less get what you paid for it.

Just my $ .02

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Ol'89r said:
Might be better for you to find a good used 125 or 250 two stroke.

a 250 2 stroke for an absolute beginner? Even a 125 can get him into situations he might not get out (alive). :yikes:

I did or don't like chinese bikes either but for the beginner a 15HP bikes 4 stroke is way better than a 33 hp or a 45 hp 2 stroke IMO.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
arnego2 said:
a 250 2 stroke for an absolute beginner? Even a 125 can get him into situations he might not get out (alive). :yikes:

I did or don't like chinese bikes either but for the beginner a 15HP bikes 4 stroke is way better than a 33 hp or a 45 hp 2 stroke IMO.

He weighs 160 lbs and has $2,500 to spend. He can most likely find a good used two stroke for that amount of money maybe an enduro. Most CRF's, YZF's and other modern fourstrokes selling for $2,500 or under are usually hammered to the point of needing valves, piston and a new crankshaft. This could add another $1,500 to the price. Not to mention the difficulty of working on a modern fourstroke. An older style fourstroke may be a better choice like an XR Honda or DR Suzuki but for the best bang for your buck a good used two stroke is the way to go. Gee, :coocoo: never thought I would say that. :yikes: ;)

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
Ok so you suggest me 2stoke for low money and easy reair right? :) And I heard 2-stoke is hard to drive on low evolutions and some time the engine may stop in the woods.?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Flash124 said:
Ok so you suggest me 2stoke for low money and easy reair right? :) And I heard 2-stoke is hard to drive on low evolutions and some time the engine may stop in the woods.?

Depends on what two stroke you get. An enduro type of two stroke has low gearing and good low end torque. Made for the woods and tight trails. Any engine will stop in the woods if it is not properly maintained. It is up to you to keep your bike in good mechanical condition to keep it from failing you in the woods. Like I said, also look into an XR Honda. XR 200 or 250 may be a good starter bike for you. They are easy to ride and don't require the strict maintainance schedule like the CRF's and YZF's.

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
I thin i will get a enduro,In our(bulgerian) offroad forum people say 4stoke is better thats why i ask.Ok what is the maintains of 2sotke and 4 stoke ?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I would not get a 2 stroke bike like the KTM too much and the DR is Ok for a beginner. I prefer MX bikes they are have not many kgs as the enduros.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Georgi. It doesn't matter which bike you get, two stroke or four. What matters is, the bike fits you, is affordable and is in good condition. As a complete beginner you may want to go to your local Honda shop and ask a few questions. Ask them if they have any used XR 200's or XR 250's in stock. If they do, sit on one and see how it feels to you. Do you have any friends that have motorcycles? Talk to them and ask them if you could ride one of their bikes. Find some riding buddies and hang out with them for a while.

I suggested a two stroke because here in the USA there are many, many good used two strokes available for not too much money. Not sure if that is the case in your country. Take your time and learn what you can before buying your first bike. My first bike was a box job. It was all apart and came in several boxes but it was the only thing I could afford at the time. It didn't run when I bought it. It didn't run when I sold it. And, it never ran in between. But,,, I did learn a lot about motorcycle engines by taking it apart and putting it back together several times. In the end, I figured it was $ 35.00 well spent.

No matter what bike you decide on, it will be a learning experience for you and the start of some very fun times. Good luck. :cool:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Excelent advice that is.

I love 2 stroke, I ride offroad and all people I know except one or 2 ride 4 strokes and believe that those engines are less maintenance intense than a 2 stroke. If you buy a race bike you need to be pretty attentive towards any noise, plug color, oil consum, smoke development etc.

The bike I began with was a 200cc chinese bike and all parts were readily available. Handlebar about 10 US etc. After that I bought an old RM125 and had to restore it, set back about 500 US, so the bike cost me 800 to get, plus 500 in repairs. I loved that thing.

Next bike was a YZ450F and that was something I now call un-necessary but I did not want to listen to my inner voice, I listened to other voices. That bike almost strangled my passion for offroad. When I got the RM125 back (I was trying to sell the bike then) it reignited and I bought a sparkling new YZ250, that was 2009. Even with my skill level, which was still way lower than now I was unprepared for a 250cc 2 smoker. Not much injury luckily but I was thrown off the bike a few times, whisky throttle its called I think :)

A XR250 is a great beginner bike IMO, if you are in offroad forums in bulgaria you should be able to find someone willing to let you try, even if you have to pay for it.

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks you a lot.I will go to the local Honda shop but im not sure do they sell used bikes.In my region im not sure again do have riders but i will search.The Bulgerigan(BG) offroad forum is for all country not only my region. :) So i search some to try a bike and the i will deside.

Flash124

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks you a lot.I will go to the local Honda shop but im not sure do they sell used bikes.In my region im not sure again do have riders but i will search.The Bulgerigan(BG) offroad forum is for all country not only my region. :) So i search some to try a bike and the i will deside.

Top Bottom