Lavon

Jan 17, 2009
I just registered a couple days ago after finding this site browsing for PW80 info.

After reading several posts and finding some very useful discussions, I pretty much did everything I needed to my daughters bike last night. I started around 1:00 am and finished at 7:00. Tore the bike down, removed rear shock and drilled new mount holes 7/8" back, drilled some holes in the airbox and cleaned the filter, checked/cleaned spark plug, removed the carb (first time ever doing this myself) and adjusted the main jet down one notch, cleaned the floats, needle, and bowl....WHEW!!! And adjusted the brakes front and rear, adjusted bars little more forward, and had to move the shifter down one click. Waiting on her to get up so she can try it out!!!

Once I got everything back together, it cranked on the first kick. Went for a ride down to our field/pond and over to a neighboring school parking lot. Made some carb adjustments (was idling a little high after warming up) and started putting tools away. Now I'm having some breakfast and going to bed!

FYI...Noticed a good difference in sound...from airbox...nice pickup in take off. Seems to rev a little higher than before. Handles better.

On my To-Do list:
SPROCKETS!!! Not sure whether to go with just 13 front or some combo of both. Don't want it getting away from her.
Try my hands at fork improvement.

I'm a little tired but man was that fun!!!

:) Happy Camper,
Lavon

Lavon

Jan 17, 2009
We got out yesterday on a friends 70 acre retired farm.
We're trying to develop a small MX track in one section.

Bike noticeably has more get-up-and-go in mid-range^. :cool:
She really liked the new seat height and bar position!
I think she hit every mud hole out there...only got stuck once and needed my help getting out.
I told my friend (who works in a bike shop part time) about the carb/air box mods I did mentioned here...and also how the PW80 runs rich from factory. The bike is still smoking a good bit and he suggested snipping the oil pump and pre-mixing (as mentioned here also). If I do this and want to switch back, for whatever reason, Can I? He told me it may help smooth it out with a possible slight increase in hp/torque. Is that true?

One thing I want to do for her is upgrade sprockets/chain. Should I start slow by just dropping the front one tooth?

tia,
Lavon

Top Bottom