tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
Hello DRN!

I've been cruising the forum for a couple weeks, and finally decided to join.

I'm 4th year University student, living in Oshawa, Ontario just getting into riding. this will be my first season as I bought my first bike a few weeks ago. I've ridden many 4wheelers, sleds, but have always wanted to ride a bike. I'll most likely end up riding trails, and ripping around friends fields.

My bike.

I bought a 1988 CR125R in Feb. The only problems I knew it had was that the clutch was screwy and it needed grips and levers.
Feb3-Day21.jpg

Feb3-Day22.jpg

I started investigating the clutch issue, and when I pulled the clutch cover I saw dirty, milky, watery oil, and not much of it. I decided I was gonna give the enitre motor a once over, and replace all the gaskets while I was at it.
Feb13-Teardown1.jpg

You can see the terrible condition that the outer clutch basket is in. This along with the milky oil, and completely stretched out clutch cable was the cause of the clutch drag.
Feb13-Teardown2.jpg

Feb13-Teardown10.jpg

Some careful filing to remove the ridges, and the clutch works mint now. It appears the bike has had a recent clutch kit, but the basket was in terrible condition.
Feb13-Teardown11.jpg

WIth the motor pulled form the bike, i decided to strip all the other components, minus the forks and swing arm so i could scrape and scrub what appears to be years of dirt and oil which coated the frame.
Feb13-Teardown15.jpg

Feb20-PaintPrep1.jpg

With the frame clean, I stripped off all the old paint with a wire cup disk, and hit it with 3 coats of gloss black paint, and put the bike back together again
Feb21-FirstCoat1.jpg

Feb25-Rebuild6.jpg

Feb25-Rebuild7.jpg

I finally got my grips and levers installed, so I took the bike out for a photoshoot in my backyard..
March24-Complete14.jpg

March24-Complete13.jpg

March24-Complete9.jpg

edit. sorry the pics aren't click-free. I was unaware that they don't show up automatically in the post when i started typing.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
nice work, any sticker kits planned??

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
Thanks, it's my first bike so I did alright.. There wasn't much of a learning curve after working on Trucks, Sleds, and a golf cart haha.. The tranny was the only part I needed a good diagram for..

As for stickers, probably not, don't really see the need for them.. I figure I'm gonna have to dish out money on a rear brake rotor and pads, and a rear tire sometime in the near future, I'll hold off on stickers for a while.

Top Bottom