Jan 27, 2009
Well im new to the dirtbike scene, I've owned a few atvs but lost when it comes to this. I've found a 03 cr125 (seems to be in good shape) for $1,200. I've also found a 02 yz125 (seems to be in good shape also) for same price. which is more reliable? Now I've rode a few bikes but never owned one, and im not looking for the fastest, just best all around. and is it true that they must be rebuilt once a year? and how much does it cost on average to rebuilt one? sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn. thanks, neil

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sort of depends on what kind of riding you plan to do, your size, aggression level....

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Yamaha may be faster (i ever trough that).
Alot of people say honda is more reliable(personally i dont know).

Both will require maintenance as there mx race bike, how much/often depend of you riding etc, like Patman said. Usually a compression gauge helps alot if your doing trails etc(low compression = rebuild).

Rebuild cost depend who's doing it, if you doing it yourself its cheaper, usually 150$ for a ring and piston if there is no other engine wear(cilynder change, bottom end rebuild... get more expensive)

Jan 27, 2009
my type of riding- no mx or xc or anything. just riding around the yard or trail riding. just something to ride on you know. maybe the dunes once every few months. no racing. I weigh 198 and im 5'11. Im not very aggressive, but I wont put put around 100% of the time. I would get a 4 stroke but I have no luck finding any, and I like the adrenaline of a 2-stroke

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll speculate the YZ would be better for that type of use but not enough to make the CR a loser if it's cleaner / in better condition. As far a dunes and being #200 I don't know that it will work out for ya'.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Patman said:
I'll speculate the YZ would be better for that type of use but not enough to make the CR a loser if it's cleaner / in better condition. As far a dunes and being #200 I don't know that it will work out for ya'.
I second that. @200 lbs, riding a 125 in the sand is going to equal a rebuild fairly quickly. Anyone, regardless of weight, riding in the sand will put a heavy load on the engine with a faster wear and tear factor. For the rest of the riding you want to do, you could have a lot of fun on the 125. Do some searches in this forum on the year of 125's that you are looking at, you'll see common problems and questions that will help you decide.
For me, I would look at the availability of parts. If it will all be online, pic your favorite color. If you have a local dealer that you get along with, buy the bike that they can support you on. You'll likely need to respring the 125 at your weight and maybe a revalve but springs are likely. This will help you with stability issues. Check out the suspension forum for more info. Have fun with whatever you choose.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
fasterblaster09 said:
my type of riding- no mx or xc or anything. just riding around the yard or trail riding. just something to ride on you know. maybe the dunes once every few months. no racing. I weigh 198 and im 5'11. Im not very aggressive, but I wont put put around 100% of the time. I would get a 4 stroke but I have no luck finding any, and I like the adrenaline of a 2-stroke

4 Stroke will also require maintenance, might even cost more as there is more expensive/moving part. Trail bike dosent require much maintenance like Dirt Bike(racing).

Also, for trail a 250 could be better. 125 need rebuild more often, 250 have more low end power(a racer who work at my yamaha dealer told me that).. 125 will wear quicker because it need to rev high, and the low end power of the 250 help for trail driving.

For sand, i dont know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom