bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
hi all
I bought a late 02 early 03 (they werent sure) used rm125 from my local suzuki dealer. It has stock handlebars which i recently bent when i come off a jump the other day. i dont want to get some more stock bars i want some aftermarket ones so they don't bend as easy. now I am very new to racing bikes and i dont know what i have to buy. do i have to buy just a set of handlebars or do i have to buy clamps or what not. I have been looking at bars online and dont know what i have to get. someone plz help me out. i know this question probably seems dumb.
oh and if some one could tell me how to install what ever i have to get that would be very helpful.
Thanks BuLly

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
your dealer didn't know the year of the bike they were selling you :coocoo: ?

if you buy 7/8'' (standard) bars, you won't need clamps or anything. but if you buy oversized bars you would either have to get new triple clamps, or if suzuki makes them, (don't know) oversize bar mounts.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
First, the dealer should know the bike year from the VIN number, which I think is molded into the steering stem part of the frame on your bike. One of the digits indicates the year. Do a search on here for VIN and you might find the "code". Also, didn't they supply you with something as proof of ownership, like a Certificate or Origin, title, something with the year?

Anyways.... for bars, I run the Pro Taper SE bars. SE stands for seven-eights (7/8") which is the standard bar clamp size. Plus they are aluminum, and the walls are thicker and much stronger than stock steel bars. They come in different bar bends and colors, and are reasonably priced (around $50-60) compared to oversized bars. If you decide to go with oversized (1 1/8") bars, you would need to buy bigger bar mounts as well.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Renthal 7/8' model #706-01 should be pretty close to the stock bend.
Pro Taper's SE Factory Suzuki bend is a little narrower and slightly taller than the Renthal.
The Tag Metals X5 RM Hi bend is pretty close is spec to to Pro Taper.

I would recommend the Renthal or Pro Taper, but I don't know anybody using the tag bars, so I have no idea how strong they are. Most name brand aftermarket bars are significantly stronger than stock.

If you decide to go with any bar that is not 7/8", you can expect to buy new bar mounts at a minimum. Most bar manufacturers do sell the mounts also, so it isnt a problem. A new triple clamp shouldn't be necessary, unless you just want to. If you fear that a 7/8" bar isn't going to hold up, last week, I hit the dirt hard enough to twist the upper bar mount on my KX250 (1pc design), but my Renthal bar survived.

Top Bottom