winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I just found out about this Trail Pass a little while ago. Check out www.trailpass.com for info about it. They are opening up new areas around the state and, to me, it seems to be the future ATVs in New York! The way I take it, all dirt bikes that are not mx'ers are allowed on the trails. Just trying to raise some interest (and support) towards this pass. *Winter Rules*

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
Winter rules....I have been wondering about riding in upstate new York but the below info obtained from the web-site counts me out.

Recreational-design four-wheeled ATVs and off-highway or dual-sport motorcycles are allowed on TrailPass™ trails. All vehicles must be liability-insured and registered (ATV or highway plate) pursuant to law.

Prohibited vehicles include any highway-registered vehicle that is not a motorcycle, three-wheeled ATVs, five-or-more-wheeled ATVs, and ATVs or motorcycles designed for closed-course use. Closed-course machines including motocross bikes and some scrambler ATVs are strictly prohibited due to lack of ATV law-compliant safety devices and federally-compliant noise and spark control equipment.

From they way I understand it, my ktm 200exc which is registered with the state of PA as a ORV title and is un-licensed because of the title classification is not allowed in. Its an enduro bike with compliant noise and spark arrestor equipment. That's kinda like discrimination isn't it? Is it possible to register my motorcycle as an ATV?

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Nash , Read it again . ATV is a generic term here . It includes off road bikes . What they want to exclude are " competition only " bikes with out lights and spark arresters . Also excluded are Jeeps and such . The web site is pretty vague , you should use the E-mail link for any questions .

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Nash sounds like to me you would be in.

MOTOCROSS bikes and racing atv's are not allowed because of sound and no spark arrestors.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Nash those rules are for the trail pass trails i believe.First i heard of trail pass btw...hope it goes away or doesn't come near me.We ride upstate and i've never been checked by the law .My county says liability and registration but most i know don't have it.I have both on my bikes,one of which is a exc200,lights removed.We ride sled trails ,power lines and county trail.I'm north of syracuse ,in oswego county where there are many sled,quad,bike riders.Btw dirtbikes,3,4, wheelers are all atv's in NY dmv's eyes,that's what the reg says .I'm not sure what the state wide rules are but i see all kinds of machines with all kinds of aftermarket stuff.As i mentioned never have we seen the law of any kind on the trail or in road vehicles posted at a road crossing....i'de like and hope that continues.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Gooby , Trail Pass is a privet venture . The land that is used is all privately owned . The organizers of Trail Pass are trying ( Looks like successfully ) to get permission to use privet property . I would imagine that the 50 bucks is used to cover insurance issues . It sounds pretty cheap to me . Our state legislature has not been able to come up with a workable plan for all parties to open up trails on state land , although they did get close this year .

I am not failure with where you ride , but if the trails are on state land and are not marked with a sign that specifies ATV use , you are riding illegally . Trail Pass looks to me like a good deal ,until the state gives us back what is ours to begin with .

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
The county trail is a multi use trail...you never know what you'll run into there.Horses,bicycle,people bird watching,walking dogs etc.That trail is not much fun but it connects to good stuff to ride.It's all part of the snowmobile trail system up here.It's legal to be on all the dirt i ride.All the above and some private land i asked to be on. Where the sled trail crosses private land that's closed there is a gate and signs.A lot of people around here ride something,if it was illegal the law would be all over it,you know that.These areas have been established riding areas for years and many people ride there.There's not much fuss around here unless your stupid and blast up and down streets ,pretty easy going if you play it smart.Stick to the trails and your good to go,then noone will bother you.

I'de hate to see all the state and county property turned into a state wide Pay to ride deal...is this the start of that?A couple ohv parks would be cool but it's free to ride where i go so i'm happy.It aint broke for me so i don't see it need fixin.Why would you automatically think that i break the law and trespass?

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
No , no I wasn't implying that you were knowingly breaking the law . Just trying to give you a heads up .
Trail Pass is not a state program . It is not going to take over your counties land . It can't . Don't sweat it .
I am glad that the county you live in provides for the many trail users out there . Mine and many more in this state do not .
The people at Trail Pass are just asking PRIVET land owners permission to ride on their property . They are not asking for fees to ride on PUBLIC lands , they can't sell something they don't own .

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Thanks dirtybkr,no offence ment on my part either :) I think it would be great to see places like i hear Paragon adventure park in Pa is.I never been there but it sounds like a good place.What needs to happen is this,Dirtbike and quad riders gotta get together like the snowmobile groups have.They rule NY,you have no idea of the miles of trails open to sleds.They made all concerned aware of the seasonal $$$ to be had.Bars,restaurants and even most cities chamber of commerce advertise ...."come ride here".People come from all over...and on the weekend,forget it.Trails are trashed and it's so crowded to the point of almost dangerous,no fun to say the least.Summer riders don't have that voice or access to nearly as much open ground.Lots of interest and opportunities when the snow is on ,not there in summer.In most cases it's ride where and what ya can as you said ...most do legal or not.Why this is...i dunno? Need to figure out how the sled guys got NY under their thumb?

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I agree . The State Legislature came close this year to a new trail program that would increase registration fees to go for building trails on state land ,maintenance ,and law enforcement . Problems occurred when an agreement could not be reached regarding the split of the new funds . The greenies wanted to see 30% of fees go to law enforcement and the riders groups said it was to large a cut . Neither side would budge and it became a deal breaker .

The reason I relate this story is because it shows that we are finely getting noticed . Those huge increases in ATV and bike sales show our elected officials that there is money to be made and votes to be won .
Maybe next year .

Top Bottom