fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I have received a rare kitchen pass and am thinking about doing a day ride at Ocotillo. I hope to be there by 8 or 9 that morning but would have to leave early around 3pm.

Let's hit it.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I may be up for it if I don't go to the dunes that weekend.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Steve,

To tell the truth I didn't know there was a difference. We would be going to the one that has "pumpkin patch" and "blowsand".

Tree,

Sounds good. I'm about 98% sure that I'll be going but I'll post when I have concrete plans.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
To tell the truth I didn't know there was a difference. We would be going to the one that has "pumpkin patch" and "blowsand".

that would be Ocotillo Wells area, great place to ride, lots O fun. rode there about two weeks ago.
Ocotillo is off of hwy 8, and is where they have the fud ruckers/district 38 races. simular type riding as ocotillo wells, hell with large enough tank you can ride there and back.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I think I'm out for Sat. but I plan on riding Sun. at Corral Canyon or McCain's Valley if anyone is up for that.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Tree,

Corrall sounds fun but I won't be able to make it for Sunday. Too bad for me. :ugg: How is that place during the weekends? Is it crowded? Meeting someone on those trails doesn't sound like fun.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Corral canyon is fun! I perfer to stay on the small trails as opposed to the fire roads. The trails are fairly tight and it would be possible to meet someone coming the other way but I am usually pretty cautious and try to listen for cycles coming from the opposite direction. Also, since they are tight and winding and since most of the time my son is following I am usually going slow enough to avoid an oncoming bike as long as the other guy is not riding out of control. That's why I like to stay off the fire roads as much as possible, less chance of accident at a higher speed. I usually go early to avoid any crowds. Last time I went, it was a bit crowded at the staging area but we didn't met anybody on the trails. I think it would really be good during the week. McCains valley is also fun but small. It has been alot less crowded everytime I've been there and the good thing about it is there's a width restriction on the trails so you shouldn't have to worry about metting up with any Quuads on the trails.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
im still in limbo waiting on friends to make the decision, but will be riding some where this weekend, let you know when i know, if someone wants to join

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
i will be at Hidden valley camp ground in Ocotillo wells, i should be there by 2:00 pm friday and will stay till saturday night, stop on by and have a beer.
black full size dodge 1500 with kawasaki kx 250 #68

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Try Otay. It's close, it's free, it's pretty big (border x 805 x 905), and we need to keep it open. Let's use it while we have it!

It does get busy on some weekends, but there are plenty of areas accessible where you can park out of the crowd and build a track and practice without disturbance. Good for kids and adults alike.

Just my $0.02. We've been having so much fun there lately, I just figured I'd share...

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Steve,

Crap!!! I didn't read this before I left. I would have swung by there. It was a great day out there, huh? And the rains really did the sand well. We camped between Holmes and pole line. We fought bike problems all day but managed to get in some super rides.

You'll have to give me a rain check on that beer. And you can bet that I'll hold you to it. :thumb:

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Nick,

I rode out there quite a few times about a year ago and it seemed like they started closing it down. What's the story there? Some of my favorite places were all the way in the back close to the fence and the hill where the border patrols sit. I agree that it's a great close place to ride.

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Yep, I agree I like that area too. Less rocky down there, but BP I spoke with said they don't really like us playing in the canyons next to the border, because of potential mugging, so... I obey the signs. Spoke to a Fire Dept guy yesterday who said he and his friends have been riding there for 3 years now and it's kind of a limbo-land. Nobody minds so far in the law enforcement community yet apparently. I have to work tomorrow, but I'll be there Monday. ...N

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
i just got back last night (3-22) and yes it was awesome out there, friday was a little cooler than saturday but great riding conditions.
i stayed at the Hidden Valley, i really like the location and the fact the ramadas are more spread out then at Holmes camp, no showers though. it's close to Blu-inn for beers and burgers, i useally pack light and eat at blu-inn, makes it nice.

Fred2
im going go out again sometime next month, maybe you can collect on your beer then or maybe meet down at old 117 (805/905 otay border)
there is a trail along the border fence i would like to see how far it goes :)

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Oh my... references to old Speedway 117?!!! Whatever next? Right now from what I've seen, the school bus / antenna area is as far West as prudent. Now East, like through Johnny Wolf's Draw, is still good to Marron Valley Rd. as far as I know. Not going that way alone tomorrow though, I want company for that.

WhiteDiesel

Feb 20, 2003
Hey Steve, I saw you out there that weekend. I was in the cabana right in front of you with the white Chevy diesel. I was wondering if my friends were gonna show up and figured if they didn't, I'd walk over to your camp. But yours and mine did make it. Anyhow I can't seem to find anyone willing to go there more than once a month. I'll keep looking back here to see next time your going and post when I can. I always bring plenty of beer.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
WhiteDiesel

funny thing i was thinking the same thing, damn near walked over to see if you wanted to go for a putt or drink a beer, i drank allot of beers friday!
next time stop on by! i will be going in the next couple weeks, ill post when i have a definite date

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
I don't know, I've never been before. I gather it's a privilege, and good from the feedback too. I thought if you were going we could hook up along the way seein' as you're from down here somewhere!

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Oh man, you really missed it. Next time you gotta make it. Totally cool people and an awesome ride. Some hairy scary rocky downhills, water crossings, etc... I never crashed or dropped my bike, but I'm not too sure how!!!

Oh well, next time. I think Ol'89r is planning one for May sometime.

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
scary hills, water crossings?? did you go to lake silverwood/big bear/arrow bear area??
i went on one ride with the wrecking crew up in that area, kicked my *ss, dropped/tipped the bike 3 or 4 times, nothing to get hurt by but strenuous, and was totally spent by the end of the day. it was fun and torture at the same time.
they are a great group of riders with VERY good riding skills.

looks like i might be going to Ocotillo Wells this coming weekend april 4-5,
i will post when i have a set date/time and details

nick414

Feb 1, 2002
Nope, just kinda East of Corona itself. I would like to do that Silverwood thing though. I drove through that area and it looked like fun riding, but I have no sparky now and the last thing I want to do is start a fire!

Top Bottom