Steve wr400

Mar 14, 2002
Anyone have experience with octane boosters? My 2000 WR400F seems to foul plugs every 10 to 15 rides. Some say it's cuz of the fact I'm using 91 octane pump gas. They also suggest I use some kind of race gas and at least mix it. I've also been told, and have read, that I could just use an octane booster and get simular results. Any suggestions?

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
I tried using an ounce of VP Racing Octane Boost (toluene based??)mixed in with 2 gallons of hi-test premix (93 octane) in my 96CR500 to get rid of a midrange pinging problem. The Octane boost didn't get rid of the ping but it did lean out the carburation all the way across the rpm range. (The sparkplug turned from black to a very light tan.) I solved my pinging problem by going up on the slow jet and raising the needle. (I believe that the initial black plug readings on my bike were coming from a rich main jet.)
I didn't notice any power increase with the Octane boost however this CR5 has a fresh Eric Gorr ported top end sitting on a completely rebuilt bottom end so its kind of hard to feel an extra horse or two when you have so many to begin with!
I agree with 125 rider that you have a jetting problem. I suggest that you adjust the carburetor instead of trying to lean the bike out with Octane boost.

Top Bottom