Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
The best washer for ANY oil leak is made of oil resistance paper. The paper from which all orginal gaskets made of.
Purchase some Oil and temperature resistant paper from local machinery shop and simply cut the new gasket.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I would recommend using the washer that belongs there. Most likely the OEM washer is either copper or aluminum. A stainless steel washer is too hard and will not crush properly. A paper washer is not strong enough to withstand the torque on the drain plug and will most likely tear before the drain plug reaches it torque.

Go to your local dealer and buy a handful of the OEM washers. They are very inexpensive. Every time or every other time you change your oil, install a new washer. Using the same washer over and over, can cause the drain hole to split.

Just my $ .02

fadingfastsd

Sep 7, 2005
Nathan Rubin said:
The best washer for ANY oil leak is made of oil resistance paper. The paper from which all orginal gaskets made of.
Purchase some Oil and temperature resistant paper from local machinery shop and simply cut the new gasket.

Hey man where do you get this oil resistance paper? Thats exactly what I need to make a new gasket for my drain plug!!

Evan

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Ol'89r said:
I would recommend using the washer that belongs there. Most likely the OEM washer is either copper or aluminum. A stainless steel washer is too hard and will not crush properly. A paper washer is not strong enough to withstand the torque on the drain plug and will most likely tear before the drain plug reaches it torque.

Go to your local dealer and buy a handful of the OEM washers. They are very inexpensive. Every time or every other time you change your oil, install a new washer. Using the same washer over and over, can cause the drain hole to split.

Just my $ .02
I myself am a victim of this exactly, well almost. From changing the oil every 3 hours or so, the original washer ( aluminum) had all the squish, squashed out of it. So each time I tourqued on the drain plug, it put the stress on the case instead of a fresh washer, which is a softer aluminum than the case. All this repeated tourquing on the case eventually stripped the treads out of the case. Luckily I was able to tap the next size larger.
I would recomend what Ol89r has to say as good info. When you crack te case or strip out the threads, Its not a good feeling :ohmy: :(

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Ol'89r, you said it all! :cool:

Top Bottom