Okay, I'm asking a real how to here..Marcus??

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I blew the topend on my 125sx and trashed the cylinder. My dealer graciously loaned me what he called a KTM 174sx. I rode it today and want to do the same to my bike because that thing rips. All I know is that there is a spacer under the jug and obviously has a different cylinder on it. I had one guy tell me that a 174 is a 125 with a 200 cylinder on it but surely there's more to it than that. Is anyone familiar with this setup?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks a bunch. Hey, I got a chance to ride the 170 today and it rips. Chip loaned me his to play on for a couple of weeks and it may have just found a new home :debil:

For what it would cost me to build mine into a 170, I can pick this one up and come out way on top, just have to get mine fixed. Right now I'm looking for a 125 cylinder. Does anyone know what it would take to put a 02 jug on an 01? I found a 134 cylinder but it was on an 02 and the part numbers are different but the guy says it would fit if I changed out the manifold. Problem is the manifold part numbers are the same for both years.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jeff - I'm pretty sure the part number difference is a result of one year using a head gasket and one using an o-ring, so if you swap the barrel and get the corresponding year head you'll be good. If you want to PM me I have another possible solution for you.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
sorry jeff i stopped playing with the ktms in 2001,i know the 2001 cylinder fitted on a 2000, the castings look the same even on the 06 so i think it will me minor changes only.Never heard of a 170 by using just the barrel from the 200.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Theres a bit more to it than just bolting on the 200 cylinder , AFAIK.... The 200 rod must also be used , and the porting have to be adjusted. Ignition , exhaust and so can be changed , either it runs like a super-125 , or more like the 200.
To do a full 200 conversion , crank , flywheel , complete top-end , head mount , ignition and exhaust must be changed.

Top Bottom