thmac

Nov 12, 2007
i raced mx back in the 70's rode a suz rm 125. to be honest in our dreams we were not as fast as you folks today. well i have been on harleys for the last 25 years. i am giving up the harley and want to ride mx again. here is my problem i am 54 and really don't want to fly any more. i would like to visit mx tracks on practice days and ride to get in shape. i weigh
about 240 and thought i would get another 125 god knows i love the 125s. but i keep hearing i weigh too much to ride this bike. who knows mabey next spring i will enter an old timers race. any bike suggestions would be helpful.

thanks thmac

rob the snail

Aug 28, 2007
gday mate, i made a comeback 3 yrs ago after 30 yrs. i am 48 now so i was 45 then. I am an avid bodybuilder so i have kept myself in good shape but i struggle with the big jumps. I got a cr125 new and loved it but i am now on an rm250 2 stroke 06 model. i bought it new and it is a great bike. is so much easier to ride than the 125. Most of the guys ride 4 strokes here in australia and to be honest they are so easy to ride. the 450s are awesomely fast but you can ride it up about 2 gears and just use half throttle. But i can not repair valves and heads whereas on the 2 stroke it is still basically the same except with a powervalve. cheers
rob

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
I came back 3yrs ago at the age of 57, I mostly trail ride but do some moto and I don't do big jumps but I will do small jumps.

ernscr500

Jan 25, 2008
welcome back, i myself just got back to ride after 30 yrs, i am 42 & ride a cr 500,love the power all the way trhough, i have not rode the crf450 but hear that they think these compare with the cr500?? heard anything about that

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
You'll be glad you came back!

I'm 50, 240#, a former MX, XC, and roadracer. I started back about 4 years ago, when I bought small XR's for my kids.

I'm on my second YZ125, ride almost all in the woods, and absolutely loving riding again. Being a former racer, I prefer to be able to ride a bike aggresively, so the 125's suit me to a 'T.' Heck, when I first started riding with adults, I became known as 'the fast guy on the XR100.'

I am still amazed at how much low-end a stock, but well jetted (critical!) '06 YZ125 has. If someone gets away from me it's because they are a better rider than me. I feel like the power of my current YZ125 is very comparable to my last 250, a 1981 YZ.

The ride and handling of a modern 125 will blow you away.

We are in America, though, where bigger is always better, according to most. The macho men will all tell you here that 'you must have at least a 250, especially a man of your size.'

I think that they are all trying to compensate for some other
inadequecy in their lives

I say buy whatever you think you will have the most fun on; I'm certain you'll be right.

Welcome back, KW

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
Wow cant top that but i rode 125's and they just feel too small for me i bought a yz250 and love it. i'm 45 and @ 170lbs. it all depends on you and how you feel on a 125 or 250. Heck your big enough a 450 would probably feel small. well glad to see your back and hope you have fun.

Top Bottom