Opening the top for a look-see?

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
I had read that is normal to take the top end apart every so often to examine, and check things to make sure they are all since withing tolerances. If the ring end gap is still good, and the piston is still in spec, rod bearing ok, things like that, can I just get new gaskets and put it back together? I had heard that a look-see is good practice. Is this true? Can I reuse the rings if they are still within spec? Things like that...
Bleeds

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
It looks like you have got plenty of time DUDE.
I think that you have to deal with top end when riding feels different or there is problem. I will never disassemble top end without GOOD REASON !! :blah:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Nathan Rubin said:
It looks like you have got plenty of time DUDE.
I think that you have to deal with top end when riding feels different or there is problem. I will never disassemble top end without GOOD REASON !! :blah:

someday GOOD REASON !! will be taking apart a motor to find that shrapnel has torn up everything from the crankshaft on up. i could do about 15 complete top ends or 30 ring and bearing changes or 75 checks assembled with new gaskets for the price of this wait til its broke theory :yikes:

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
I don't know, maybe 2-stroke is easy to deal with.
But 4-stroke engine tooks 5 hours of your life for top end look-see. I think is it pretty expencive too just for look-see without any reason.
Anyway, I don't mentioned to wait until engine exploads or piston gets hole in it. First, feel if riding is different. :fft:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
uhh.............. :think:

bleeds

Registered
Bike(s): 1982 Honda CR250R

youre preference to not "waste" 5 hours will cost even more with a 4 stroke. i dont know exactly what a drz350 is but if it is a putt putt bike like an xr you are right you never need to look-see. but you cant give advice to a guy with a race tuned bike the same advice :bang:

ps how does it look like he has plenty of time from his post, there is no clue as to riding frequency type of riding or last top end

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
So I am smart to take a look see inside to make sure all is well? It is a good thing that I did. (See other post in the forum from last night)
Bleeds

Nathan Rubin

Jul 12, 2005
ellandoh said:
uhh.............. :think:

bleeds

Registered
Bike(s): 1982 Honda CR250R

youre preference to not "waste" 5 hours will cost even more with a 4 stroke. i dont know exactly what a drz350 is but if it is a putt putt bike like an xr you are right you never need to look-see. but you cant give advice to a guy with a race tuned bike the same advice :bang:

ps how does it look like he has plenty of time from his post, there is no clue as to riding frequency type of riding or last top end
Yes it is true, the SUZUKI DR-350 is not the competition bike.
This look-see thing is not working for this bike. Expencive parts, 4-stroke and waste of time. Of cours, if he is professional rider and has no budget limits you are WRIGHT.
In this case he can do the look-see after 3-4 races.

Top Bottom