woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Just thought I would pass on a rather posative expierience. I have a KTM 2t with a stock 2K-3 stator. The stock headlight is pretty pathetic. I have looked for a low cost alternative replacement with no success - until recently. PMXTEC offers an upgrade that uses the stock headlight housing, stator etc.. It allows you to use an H7 (readily available) bulb. The results were STUNNING. The stator has more than enough power to run the bulb. It is easily 2X brighter than stock. It is plug an play... I have bought a lot of different accessories for lots of differnet applications throughout the years, I can honestly say I have never been more satisfied with an accesory than this one. If you want a better headlight on your KTM (2t or 4t) the PMXTEC kit delivers!!!! You get to keep the stock headlight / numberplate and have a light that you might actually be able to use.

Trevor

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Wolfy, That was the original thought..... I was the tester for them - trust me it has more than enough power. I will post up some comparison pics tomorrow. I do run an LED tail light / brake light - this may free up a few watts for the headlight.

Trevor

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I think I bought it at PEP Boys or similar. Just and LED 1157.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I think i would try this out, does not seem overly priced. So your 05 has 35w output max too? I would think 04 and 05 2t 250 exc's have same stator.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I have stator p/n 54839204000 (stator 2K-3) The stock bulb is 35w with 5 w running light. It is obvious to me with this stator has a lot more power available.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
woodsracer369 said:
Wolfy, That was the original thought..... I was the tester for them - trust me it has more than enough power. I will post up some comparison pics tomorrow. I do run an LED tail light / brake light - this may free up a few watts for the headlight.

Trevor

I believe that the 250 has a different stator (2K-2) than the 300 or the four strokes. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this with a 250.

The 2K-3 (300EXC/XCW) stator has over twice the output of the 2K-2 (250EXC/XCW). I believe the 2K-2 puts out about 40 watts whereas the 2K-3 is nearly 100 watts.........correct me if I am wrong.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
BadgerMan said:
I believe that the 250 has a different stator (2K-2) than the 300 or the four strokes. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this with a 250.

The 2K-3 (300EXC/XCW) stator has over twice the output of the 2K-2 (250EXC/XCW). I believe the 2K-2 puts out about 40 watts whereas the 2K-3 is nearly 100 watts.........correct me if I am wrong.

you are correct

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Agreed, the key I believe is the 2K-3 ignition

Stock (on bottom) and kit shown on wall @ 15'

The angel needs adjusted on the kitted light to better take advantage

Attachments

• stockshown.jpg
    stockshown.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 213
  • PMXTECshown.jpg
    PMXTECshown.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 218

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
is that a double filament bulb? if so try switching it to the low beam. It's much too high. I dont know how yours is set up but I can't adjust my light lower, only higher. the Highbeam is much to high for woods riding, so I have to use low. I also switched to an LED tail and parking light to free up some wattage. It did make a difference.

this mod has me intrigues, I like it if for no other reason that making light bulb options more accessable. I notice your pic have different hues so I'm assuming its your camera settings and not just the light difference. the upper pic has a serious hot spot in the middle. how well does that disperse over distance? I'd like to see a comparrison with the light shining out into a yard as opposed to up against a wall.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Not sure about the bulb, I believe it is single filament. The headlight does needs adjusted down (the kit comes with a longer bolt neccessary to do it). I'm with you on the bulb options; the fact that I have the extra output available is a bonus. The camera settings were exactly the same (it was snowing at the time - this may make the hues look different + the lights are different in "whiteness"). The difference between the 2 in real life is very dramatic. It is kind of "spot light" but I think that has more to do with the head light than the bulb. It is so much brighter that it does spill over to light up more area. I will be trying PMXTECs Osram 65w bulb that is supposed to be whiter and wider. I can't get any more comparisons done now though, the bike is in the basement and in the middle of disassembly for PM.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
BadgerMan said:

QUOTE]
The manual for my 08 200XCW lists 2K-3 stator, same part # as Trevors. Seems like the 250 would be the same.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
The manual for my 08 200XCW lists 2K-3 stator, same part # as Trevors. Seems like the 250 would be the same.

Yeah, that may be the case for the '08. I know that my '05 and the '06 (Ian's bike) have the 40 watt stator. They are pretty weak......especially at idle.

The MW450 has the higher power stator (2K-3???). That sucker does the job MUCH better. I ran a long stretch of roads at higher RPM during a dual sport ride back in September and I had to turn off the grip warmers as they got too hot!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
There must be umteen stators used. My books say I have a 12V 150W generator, stator #590.39.104.000 4K3B. With two 50 watt headlight bulbs and grip heaters, things are on the dim side. I'm only doing this for information, not cunfusion.

Young Ted

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
INCA said:
There must be umteen stators used. My books say I have a 12V 150W generator, stator #590.39.104.000 4K3B. With two 50 watt headlight bulbs and grip heaters, things are on the dim side. I'm only doing this for information, not cunfusion.

Young Ted

Ted, my wr450 had a 55wAC low beam and it was twice as bright as yours at the night ride in november. I would check to see if you've got a problem or need halogen bulbs. My crf70 and xr80 also run 50wAC and are super bright just off idle. SEAN

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah well my 250 XCW has a head light and a battery.........and a LED taillight.......and..........I don't ride it at night. But I have a HID helmet light in case i wanna. :nener:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
duckboy said:
Ted, my wr450 had a 55wAC low beam and it was twice as bright as yours at the night ride in november. I would check to see if you've got a problem or need halogen bulbs. My crf70 and xr80 also run 50wAC and are super bright just off idle. SEAN

His bulbs are Hallogen. Thats what the Blits headlight that he is using runs. Its got (2) 35 watt bulbs. Looks like Ted is running 50watt bulbs though.

Hey Ted I was just looking at Bajadesigns site and it says that your stock stator output is 100watts ac and 30 watts dc. DC charges the battery and ac for the lights.

My X is 40watts ac and 20watt dc. It sucks.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/2005 Web Site/statorchart.htm

Also says that the 2-stroke and 4-stroke are vastly diff stators.

for the smokers
the k2 is 40w
the k3 is 100w

for the exc thumpers its 100ac/30dc

Ted I wonder if you have your light hooked to the DC output somehow? w/ 100w ac you should have way better lighting than you have. Anyone know how to test ac/dc output with a multimeter so he can tell what hes hooked up to?

Another thought is a light on DC is supposed to be a stable briteness right? where as my yz400 got dim at idle running on ac and got brighter when you reved it up (like my X does) Ted does your light get brighter when you rev it up or just stay the same?

Another thing Ted is your bike wont have enough juice to run the grip heaters and the light with (2) 50w bulbs. Youll have to run like 1 bulb and the heaters. The heaters draw around 35watts on high.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don - Here is where I'm at now. I put in a switch to turn off one bulb so I could argue hi/lo beam when the state made me take a road test to renew my license. Somewhere along the way one 50W bulb broke and I put in the original 35W. Running only one bulb is brighter than both and that is what I'm doing now. RPM doesn't affect the light but using the brake light did, so it is now disconnected. The grip heaters are powered from the stock on/off headlight switch.
Two years ago I put the meter on the headlight switch to see if was AC or DC and got nowhere. The readings would not settle down or even resemble a possible voltage. The wiring diagram doesn't show any sign of a rectifier. What is actually in the motor, I don't know and it being one of the first 250's, it could be different than what the books say. The original books that came with the bike were not around when I came in to the picture and it was a fight to get what I did get.
There are times when I'm as bright as the bulbs are dim.

Young Ted

Top Bottom