ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I thought I would get this started since I'm off today. It's a good thing too, since I'm suffering today from muscle fatigue in every muscle above the waist. I guess the legs are in good riding shape though, 'cause they don't hurt!
The day started with the 'crew members, old and new, meeting up at Micky D's right off of the 15 Frwy. at the 138. We had originally planned to stage right across the highway by the railroad overpasses, but the decision was made to head up to the Wilson Ranch road staging area on the Phelan side. This turned out to be an excellent choice, as Bundy brought the whole clan, and this afforded a great place for them to ride around while the big boys were out playing enduro racer. It was also much closer to the sand-hill, which is where we decided to start the days festivities.
Ah yes, the sand-hill. I love climbing it, but I usually have to put a skirt on when I'm coming down! (Woulda put on the tu-tu, but Elk wouldn't give it up!) Yep, back wheel locked, 2 fingers on the front brake, as slow as I can go, which is about 30 MPH on that sucker! Of course if your name is Kiwi or MXBundy you double that speed! Maybe if my bike had better suspension those whoops at the bottom wouldn't be quite as scary! :eek: Tree, let your 2 buds that made the long trek up from Cali del Sur know that I was very entertained by their efforts to descend the hill! Since I knew it was just a matter of time before I would take a soil sample myself, it was kind of them to break the ice! (Ha ha.)
Several of the crew decided to tackle the much more difficult hill on the opposite side of the canyon the famous sand-hill resides in. Tony (thumbs), you looked incredible on your new KTM, as did Scar, (that 300 suits you!), Bundy, (CR450F), Kiwi, (525 EXC), and any of you other guys that attempted that sucker. :worship:
There was one drag-race up the sandhill which resulted in a holeshotting Elk on his RM250 being passed near the top by the most experienced rider in the group, 89r'. Way to go Terry, you rock! The way you passed me on the trail several times so effortlessly was very humbling! :worship:
After some fun on the sandhill the group headed back to the truck for a top-off of fuel, then it was on to the enduro leg of our ride. Phelan has some great trails in the canyons that twist, turn, climb and descend through srub-oak, manzanita and pucker bushes so thick that one can easily get lost if he's separated from the group, so we tried to use the 'make sure the guy behind you see's the turn', rule whenever the trails branched off. This is great except when you're trying to stay up with the fast guys, and the 2 seconds you stop at an intersection to make sure the next guy in line takes the right trail is just enough time to lose contact! (This sounds like a good excuse to me, ha-ha!). I can't blame them though; once you get a rythym going in that stuff you don't want to stop! I think everyone made it through this time with their jerseys intact too! Even Scar! :laugh:
From the enduro trail it was a quick ride along the ridges, (what a view of the West Cajon Valley, eh guys!), back around the sand-hill, and then another tight twisty trail over to the Hilltopper restaurant for lunch. (Thanks Tony!)
After some great sandwhiches we headed back out toward the ridges and some new trails, some of which were 'Kiwi rated.' (A kiwi rated trail would probably be double diamond if it were signed!) Of course, some of this stuff that the Kiwibird considers a normal ride in the park is soil sample time for many of us mere mortals, and this is when I chose to do so.
Then there was the almost unclimbable single-track where Scar got stuck in front of me and proceeded to pelt me with rocks and sand! Thank-you for the dirt-shower Mr. Scar! :moon:
As we once again hit the main ridges my body announced to me that I was done. I had started fading toward the back at this point, and was able to convince Trees' 2 buddies that this was a good time to head back, so the 3 of us broke off from the group and headed back.
The main group came back about 20 minutes later. We bench-raced a little bit as we loaded up, and filtered out gradually one or two at a time.
All in all it was a great ride; we actually got Elk away from his truck for more than an hour, and I got to meet some great new people, and ride with some old friends I haven't seen in awhile.
BTW- I can remember being the only orange bike rider the first coulpe of DRN rides, (well, except desert racer when he had the 300), and on this ride the KTM contingent was very well represented! Kiwi, Tree; you guys have me lusting after one of those 525s'. The dark side is calling me!
Thanks to everyone that attended. We had 19 riders, and I know I'll never remember all your names so I'll just let y'all jump in here and sound off! Later!

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Great report and Im sorry I missed it. I ended working on the Green Beast from 8AM till 9PM Sat in order to meet you guys on Sunday. Of course this involved two trips to Chapparal and one trip to Berts for parts inbetween. At 9PM I kicked over the beast only to find that the racket I thought was the scored cylinder and piston turned out to be inside the case after all. I was ready set that thing on fire at that point. To make things worse the wife comes down with the flu that night. Its plain and simple, someone upstairs doesnt want me to ride. I dont have time to split the case, do any of you have a good recommendation for a good Kawi mechanic? Help needed!!!!

Thanks

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Great ride report Boy, that about sums it up. Now the sand hill deal, I blazed up the hill ahead of 89er, twice, and when I reached the top I felt bad so I slowed up to the let the old guy get his glory! I thought we were just racing to the tree, then all of a sudden, 89er thumps on by, I'm like WTF!!??

We had an off the trail experience thanks to Bundy, took us through some tractor turn around tracks or something. We kinda got stuck for a second but again, I was there for 89er as a public servant, he used my foot for traction to turn around, THEN he roosted me! But as always, he got stuck and I got my groove on and roosted him as well. I chased Desert Racer and 89er throught the tight manzanita trails and set my sights on Bundy, thankfully he had to slow up at each fork in the road. Then he said, "Go ahead, lets see what you got" I took the lead and proceeded to overshoot corners and run through trees and rocks, Thanks Bundy, you're the greatest. :moon:

My buddy from work, Terry, had a great time and wants to join us again. We couldn't talk him into running up the sand hill even after Kiwi suggested he'll do it on the 125 first! But Terry did say he'll be around for the next one.

Good meeting some neew folks as well, hope you guys will join us again. Thanks 89er for letting me run the 450 up the hill, nice bike, I might just have to consider the RMZ450 or 250 for my next purchase. That bike has power, prolly too much for me so I'm still 2 stroke bound for a bit.

Great ride report Ktmboy, hope to see everyone again soon.
Elk

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
We're sorry you missed it too Rich. You would have made it an even twenty riders.

Great report ktmboy. I had more fun than a person my age should be allowed to. In the tight single track stuff we were running so close, if the leader would have crashed, it would have taken two weeks just to untangle the bikes. :eek: Sorry about the on trail passes, I gotta get that damn sticky throttle fixed.

Thanks for pointing out who made it to the top of the sand hill first. I knew that wasn't my imagination. Oh yea, and the first attempt someone stuck a rut in my way. Yea, that's it.

Really enjoyed seeing the Crew and meeting the new guys.

We need to do this more often.

Hey Carlo, how's the foot? :p BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :moon:

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
Great report ktmboy. It was a good day indeed. It was great to ride with the crew again even though I had some damn laughing hyena :laugh: behind me for part of the ride... you know who you are you yellow bike ridin fool..... :moon:

See you boys on the next ride... :thumb:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Outstanding day! Great riding with everybody. Yes, I'm sore today from all those damn whoops.

Did find a few more interesting little pieces of singletrack that are worthy of a return visit.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
We are due for another ride, lets pick the date.;)

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
A great day indeed :thumb: here's some proof

89er, how could you let Elk pull you like that. AAAWWW the shame of it.

Attachments

• Elk beating 89er.JPG
    Elk beating 89er.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
KTMboy Doing his best dogpaddling

Attachments

• KTM boy doing his best dog paddling  small.JPG
    KTM boy doing his best dog paddling small.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 135

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
A couple of group shots

Attachments

• group shot small.JPG
    group shot small.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 123
  • group shot small #2.JPG
    group shot small #2.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 127

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Here's proof I need a new rear tire

Tony beating me on the sand hill drags. :worship:

And one of Tony's favorite sand hill position :moon:

Attachments

• tonys bike down small.JPG
    tonys bike down small.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Tony and I racing small 1-04.JPG
    Tony and I racing small 1-04.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 137

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I had a great time! Glad I could meet more of the group. I tried to keep names straight, not too successful tho.

I have never ridden that area, so it was a new experience, I enjoyed the twisties thru the scrub, even tho I couldnt keep up, but it was fun tryin.

I was the first one behind Kiwi on the post lunch exploration, good thing I brought the Bril cream, a little dab l' do ya, well alot of dab :ohmy: I think it was RMJeff behind me, he would have made some more of the tight climb had I not stoped his momentum which prolly chain reacted the entire line.

Definatly another group ride, had a blast, and Im sore.

Lets pick a date for the next ride, Im in.

Ohh, I did take some pics, shy on action shots but I got some of the group.

BTW- Placelast, my wife is dissapointed you couldnt make it, she would rather read your write-ups of the ride than hearing it from me.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Great pics and ride reports. Sorry I missed it .. but I'll be up for the next one for sure. The dirt looks primo !

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Those shots are great, thanks Tim, now I got evidence of me beating 89er up the hill!! :yeehaw: And that one with the snow in the background, does it get any better?

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Does anyone want me to send them the pics I shot so they can be posted here or what size or res works to get them up here, the files are too big now.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
What a blast! One of my most enjoyable days riding ever. I feel fortunate to be able to ride with this crew, on days like yesterday.

Great write up of the ride KTMboy.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
ktmboy said:
Several of the crew decided to tackle the much more difficult hill on the opposite side of the canyon the famous sand-hill resides in. Tony (thumbs), you looked incredible on your new KTM, as did Scar, (that 300 suits you!), Bundy, (CR450F), Kiwi, (525 EXC), and any of you other guys that attempted that sucker. :worship:

brettr is the only one from the Socal wrecking crew that I've seen make that hill, and he only made it once (during one of the first Phelan group rides). I tried it on my old 426, and got about ten feet from the top. My ride back down resulted in a trip over the bars :joke: (I blame it on the heavy four stroke front end digging in the dirt). Remember, that hill has no rocks, which could explain my lack of fear. With so many of the wrecking crew getting "big hoss" bikes, I guess the time came for an attempt at a real hill. Too bad I missed it. :ugg:

Last edited:

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I had a great time guys. It was nice to meet some of the crew I haven't seen in a while, along with the new guys. The tight trails were a blast as well as the sand hill. Those whoops on the ridges beat me down. By the end I was riding kinda ragged and took a couple dirt naps but the ground was pretty soft, so it's all good. It's a good thing Steve's bro had a couple of 800mg ibruprofin for the ride home, boy did I sleep good. I can't wait for next ride. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
2strok, i think they have to be under 50k and 500x500 pixels to work, unless it's changed.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Scar had an excellent suggestion for getting Elk to do longer loops: You see, the problem is that the Elk can't stand to be anywhere that he can't see his truck, so Scar is going to print up some stickers with a picture of his truck on them for the rest of the 'crew to stick on our back fenders. (Kind of like dangling a carrot before the horse!)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
a454elk said:
I thought we were just racing to the tree,
Elk

Top of the hill means TOP OF THE HILL, you big dummie. :moon: Not to the first tree or the second bush or even the ninth lizard. :ohmy: What a putz.

Next time we'll race to the top of the hill and then back down to the bottom. First one back to the bottom, with or without their motorcycle, wins.

Scar. I'll get ya for that one. :laugh:

ktmboy. That's a good idea. Or, we could just park it on top of a hill. You can see that thing from just about anywhere. :thumb:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
2strok4fun said:
Does anyone want me to send them the pics I shot so they can be posted here or what size or res works to get them up here, the files are too big now.

2 stroke

You've got to shrink them down to 600X 600 or smaller. And drop the res. so the file is no larger than 79 KB I believe. if you do not have the programs to do this you can email them to me and I'll do it for you.

tmorenc@whitmont.com

Tim

Top Bottom