Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2006
I encountered an odd situation today that involved the world of motocross that left me confused. And I now need your help to allow me to figure it all out. Any cooperation would be greatly obliged.

I was on break from work today in Tampa, Florida when I was approached by a man in a “plight.” He played his part, needed help.. yadda yadda yadd- sounded like so many scam artists that I have seen and dismissed before. But this guy was different.

First, while he was definitely drunk and strung out, he wasn’t a crack head or a bum. He was dressed “punk” but with another style to point out that he had some money. And his attitude was wild. The first thing he asked me was whether I recognized him. He genuinely seemed like he wouldn’t have bothered with me if I knew who he was (because of his “notoriety”; you’ll see).

The man claimed that he was a motocross racer of some note. I was skeptical of course, but he named a couple of facts and track names that, at least, proved that he knew the sport. Of course, I am only a ‘fringe’ fan myself, so it doesn’t take much to impress me.

Regardless, the point is: the guy had a good story and seemed to genuinely have some connection to the world of motocross. I couldn’t let my naivety get the best of me, though so I left him on his way. But now it is killing me to find out if this guy really was “somebody,” which is why I am here. So, I’ll describe him a little better and you guys tell me if it rings a bell.

Physical description: He was about 5’8” and around 185 pounds, though he said that he had to be at 176 to race. He was pretty stocky. He showed me a scar on his inner left elbow from a torn tendon and how he could bend ALL of his fingers completely backwards. He had a lot of tattoos, but I don’t think he had sleeves- more sporadic then that. I know he had a small tattoo on one of his hands.

I know all of that is of little help, but I hope the following knocks it all down a bit: He said that he was originally from up north, in Connecticut I believe. He was now living in Florida in either Cape Coral or Gainesville. He talked about his wife who was also from Connecticut and his one daughter. I vaguely recall him saying that he was sponsored by “FOX.” And, oh yeah, I think he said that he was, like, 32 years old.

Anyway, I have the dude’s cell number and, while it is all really no big deal, it is bugging me to know who this guy *might* have been.

I greatly appreciate your time and any help that y’all might offer.

Steve

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
@ the grocery store, I have been approached by this one guy a few times.. Each time its a different story.. First time he said he had just got out of prison and needed some help.. A few days earlier i had seen him in his girls car drinkin a 40 and yellin at her :laugh: The other day, he was from New Orleans and was homeless due too Katrina.. THis guy may of seen you w/a Moto logo of some sort and used that angle.. Should of asked him what his name is :cool:

Aug 20, 2006
Hey Bro,

Thanks for the response.

I totally understand where you are going with your post. Trust me, the naivety that you suggest is something I possess. I, like you, get approached by scam artists all the time which is the reason that I blew this guy off….

…HOWEVER…

Something still tells me I should have believed him. For example, you suggest that I should have asked his name. I did and he responded believably. I just don’t remember what he responded  And being that I only love to watch motocross and am in no way a real follower of the sport, unless he claimed to be Ricky Carmichael, Travis Pastrano, Jeremy McGrath or Mike LaRocco, I have no way of either calling “bull****” or matching his name with a supposed face.

All that being said, you can safely assume that I had ZERO motocross paraphernalia on me. In fact, I was in my work uniform as I was just stepping out of the restaurant that I work in and I was getting into my “oh-so-anti-extreme-sport” car; my Chrysler Sebring.

Anyway… The situation is cool. But I wouldn’t go scouring the internet to find the identity of just any old bum. My assumption is that this guy does race dirt bike, just not at the level he claims. Which makes sense because he said that he has a race next month at the HardRock course in Ocala, Florida. I don’t think that place spells “big time,” or does it?

Again, thanks for your help.

-Mark-

Dec 31, 2005
whiskeyboarder said:
I encountered an odd situation today that involved the world of motocross that left me confused. And I now need your help to allow me to figure it all out. Any cooperation would be greatly obliged.

I was on break from work today in Tampa, Florida when I was approached by a man in a “plight.” He played his part, needed help.. yadda yadda yadd- sounded like so many scam artists that I have seen and dismissed before. But this guy was different.

First, while he was definitely drunk and strung out, he wasn’t a crack head or a bum. He was dressed “punk” but with another style to point out that he had some money. And his attitude was wild. The first thing he asked me was whether I recognized him. He genuinely seemed like he wouldn’t have bothered with me if I knew who he was (because of his “notoriety”; you’ll see).

The man claimed that he was a motocross racer of some note. I was skeptical of course, but he named a couple of facts and track names that, at least, proved that he knew the sport. Of course, I am only a ‘fringe’ fan myself, so it doesn’t take much to impress me.

Regardless, the point is: the guy had a good story and seemed to genuinely have some connection to the world of motocross. I couldn’t let my naivety get the best of me, though so I left him on his way. But now it is killing me to find out if this guy really was “somebody,” which is why I am here. So, I’ll describe him a little better and you guys tell me if it rings a bell.

Physical description: He was about 5’8” and around 185 pounds, though he said that he had to be at 176 to race. He was pretty stocky. He showed me a scar on his inner left elbow from a torn tendon and how he could bend ALL of his fingers completely backwards. He had a lot of tattoos, but I don’t think he had sleeves- more sporadic then that. I know he had a small tattoo on one of his hands.

I know all of that is of little help, but I hope the following knocks it all down a bit: He said that he was originally from up north, in Connecticut I believe. He was now living in Florida in either Cape Coral or Gainesville. He talked about his wife who was also from Connecticut and his one daughter. I vaguely recall him saying that he was sponsored by “FOX.” And, oh yeah, I think he said that he was, like, 32 years old.

Anyway, I have the dude’s cell number and, while it is all really no big deal, it is bugging me to know who this guy *might* have been.

I greatly appreciate your time and any help that y’all might offer.

Steve

Chuck Norris in disquise. :nod:

AndyO

Jun 11, 2006
Originally Posted by whiskeyboarder

If it's bugging you call and ask his first and last name. :whoa:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This thread couldn't be more stupid, and now it's DONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom