pump fuel and octane booster ? dragon fuel?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I have been using VP's C-12 in a 94 yz250. although the bike is always transforming thru homemade port work and pipes, I felt comfortable with the relatively high octane content for protection until I got the timing and jetting close.

unfortunately c-12 is not readily available. there is someone close by who sells Dragon fuel. anybody heard of it? unfortunately it will be coming out of a 55 gallon drum so freshness is an issue but if they have the mx version and relatively fresh is it a decent product? not quite sure of the blend name yet but he tends to sell to a lot of 4stroke briggs and stratton cart racers and circle track cars with v8's.

also I see that STP has a octane booster that has MMT(MAYBE, the label states the highest allowed by law for street vehicles curious as to marketing bs if not allowed by law none would be the highest allowed right?) well I am wondering since they have marine fuel readily availabe(89 octane no ethanol pump fuel) would the marine fuel with the STP additive be a possible better choice than 93 pump with ethanol?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I found their new refinery!http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/03/nigeria.oil.niger.delta/index.html?h . Not really, but I figured it fit? The fuel, who knows exactly what is in it, ask them? Marine fuel and boosters, go back to Nigeria. The new refinery at the BP Whiting Indiana stack is going up as planned! It appears nothing like Nigeria's! I sure hope your porting is from a reliable source? Vintage Bob

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I found their new refinery!http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/03/nigeria.oil.niger.delta/index.html?h . Not really, but I figured it fit? The fuel, who knows exactly what is in it, ask them? Marine fuel and boosters, go back to Nigeria. The new refinery at the BP Whiting Indiana stack is going up as planned! It appears nothing like Nigeria's! I sure hope your porting is from a reliable source? Vintage Bob

no not really lol , although I tend to follow decent instructions...(Eric Gorr's performance handbook and A.Bell's 2 stroke tuning they are still my own hackjobs

I am not fooling myself into thinking I am going to win any Nationals here just like to tinker with an old toy to see what I can learn.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I really do not hear of actually changing the porting for performance much anymore, its more properly textured and shaped. Ask Dragon for a distillation curve? They sure pumped some money into advertising, for some reason?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
as for the porting, I mostly was doing for myself was just learning.The specs in E.G.'s book were definately fun and I got into reading Bell's book and was just checking out different ideas between the two. messing around a lot with rear transfer aiming and timing with some primary compression changing, just to try and get a grip on what kinda goes on where type of thing. Real fun stuff for me just playing around, not that I am doing anything truly impressive, although I am kinda impressed with what I find. Just taking time, wasting time on something fun, in an out of the house in the shed way.

as for the fuel yeah I am impressed with the web site but was not thrilled with my phone call to the local distributor . You are right I should just drop a note asking for better specs instead of mulling around. a better question asked would get a more definitive answer

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for the links Rich should kick myself for not using the search button to begin with also should kick myself because one of the main reasons I was using the c12 was for the consistency, for my backyard engineering. After reading the links it reminded me of why I was using the race fuel to begin with. Thanks again Whenfox for just reminding me that I shoudl just of emailed the manufacture for specs.

Basic example where I should of just KISSed it (Keep It Simple Stupid). Although a fuel designed for the needs of 2s mx bike would be nice I guess what I really need is a consistent fuel to see what kind of progress (or regress) I was making with my tuning. Time to find out if my local distributor will import me 5 gall. pails.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
jsantapau said:
Although a fuel designed for the needs of 2s mx bike would be nice I guess what I really need is a consistent fuel to see what kind of progress (or regress) I was making with my tuning.

I think that is probably true for most of us, whether we realize or not is another question entirely. :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
1 of the AMA National races this year, there was a shot stuck in my head of a mechanic and a funky chilled bottle topping off the tanks, MTBE? Dragon is a sponsor this year aren't they? I never noticed jetting issues while dumping boost in, just wayyyyy better throttle response. Leave it in the tank, it went flat, the throttle also. A shot or so, bam its right back. Real crisp is not mandatory fortunately for me! I would sure tremble to see what the price is now. And Rich is going to run a car on it?

FNG

May 2, 2008
Real crisp is not mandatory fortunately for me! I would sure tremble to see what the price is now.

I am with you on this one Bob :cool:

I too am a tinkerer but I have "mostly" stopped modifying motors. Long story that involves my wife and one particular motor I grenaded 4 times in a month.

I followed Eric Gores recommendation on my '95 YZ 250 and recut my squish so I can run pump premium. The stock timing was the same as what was in Erics' book per my svc manual and my findings on the bike so I left that alone. I lost some hit but gained some over-rev with no appreciable loss on the bottom.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
FNG said:

I too am a tinkerer but I have "mostly" stopped modifying motors. Long story that involves my wife and one particular motor I grenaded 4 times in a month.

I followed Eric Gores recommendation on my '95 YZ 250 and recut my squish so I can run pump premium. The stock timing was the same as what was in Erics' book per my svc manual and my findings on the bike so I left that alone. I lost some hit but gained some over-rev with no appreciable loss on the bottom.

heh on the grenaded motor and the wife..... I hope she wasn't too involved with it. I know your pain though cause my wife holds the checkbook.

Is the 95 the 4sr code? if you still have your 95 I might have a bunch of incidentals, powervalve, pipe etc that are of no use to me that I will barter for a 94 pipe if interested pm me

FNG

May 2, 2008
Yup, I still have it. Runs like a champ now and I aint' f'ng with it anymore! With the head cut I went down 2 sizes on the pilot and another on the main. NO SPOOGE!!

Well, I want to go up 1 tooth on the rear to get 2nd and 3rd gear on the pipe a little sooner. I am 6'4 and go 215# so I doubt stock gearing was meant for my size rider.

The bike is in good shape and doesn't need anything but thanks for the offer, plus I don't have any spare or extra parts to trade.

Top Bottom