singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Someone is trying to load a Trojan horse to my computer. Norton won't let it in, but they keep trying. I have the ip, and I know it's a Cox.net ip from Phoenix. Is there anyway to track down this sack of poop?? I'd like to kick his ass!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
They won't tell you who it is, but...
With the IP addy and times it's happening, they can determine who is doing it.
If it's cable, the IP is static, meaning they don't need to know the time, the IP is assigned to an individual.

Let them know what's going on, at least the dweeb will lose their account.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I did let Cox know last night. I gave them all the info that Norton gave me. Cox.net has kind of a semi-static ip. From what I've been told, we have one ip for a given time, and the it will change.I've had the same ip since they switched from @home about a month ago.

I really wanted to kick his ass!! :ugg:

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I just downloaded a free personal firewall called ZoneAlert from http://www.zonelabs.com/
It blocks all access to your computer depending on how you configure it. The free version won't tell you who it is that's trying to access your computer (it only gives a IP address) but the pay version will.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I was using Zone Alarm when Cox made the switch. But for some reason it's not compatable with Cox.net. It wouldn't let me get on line. After four hours on the phone with tech, then finally when I got switched over to tech 2, the guy told me to shut down ZA. Everything worked great then. So I went out and bought Norton's firewall, because I use their anti-virus program. Sure am glad I didn't put of getting it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hmmm. I'll have to keep that in mind if I have any problems. I use Norton too. I'll look into their firewall. I'll bet it's not free though:whiner:

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
No, it's not free. But it's not to bad. I got Norton Personal firewall and SystemWorks in a double package for $79.00 with a $30.00 rebate.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
:think Hmmm I use Zone Alarm with Cox.net with no troubles. I was actually either going to get a router or purchase the zone alarm pro. Presently I am leaning towards the router. Cost is the only drawback.
BTW what is the ip?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks, but. . . Not what is an ip. . . what is the ip?:) I wanna play.
Now that I have read my post again I can see where there may have been some confusion. Sorry.

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Perfect timing.

I just got DSL at my house last week and installed zonealarm yesterday. It stopped 5 port scans in about 4 hours.

Is it normal to have this many alerts?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Is it normal to have this many alerts?
When I use the Zone Alarm Lock, I have seen hundreds in a 24 hour period. Most are harmless. But it is kind of unnerving to see how many times your machine gets hit.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but I'll throw in my .02.

It's more of a problem with always on isp's. But after seeing how many attempts are made to access my machine, it couldn't hurt. Zone Alarm is a free download from their site.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
ST500's right.
With dial up you could be the victim of a random attack But, since your ip address comes from a pool of addresses(dynamic addressing) the attacker has no way of knowing which ip you will have; each time you dial in to your service you are given a different ip. Cable and DSL are connected to the internet 24/7 and although they assign ip numbers dynamically like the dialup it is for all intents and purposes assigned to the user. Setting it up as a dynamic system just allows the system some flexability in case they had to switch IPs.

I don't know if it is capable of working with a dial up service. But, if it can, I guess Zone Alarm would fall into the can't hurt might help catagory.

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Lou,
I just started using Zone Alert but my dad has been using it for a while and he sees 5 to 10 hits a day and he uses a dial up service. It's real easy to download and install.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom