Status
Not open for further replies.

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
i was wondering, how much would a top end cost on a yz125? i looked it up at the yamaha parts catalog, but cant find the top end. and what is a good brand of oil to mix with gas? and what ratio would be right for a 125? and one last question, what octane of gas do you mix with the oil?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You aren't going to be able to find "Top End" in a catalog, as the top end consists of several components..

Piston, Rings, etc..

Parts price for a top end rebuild are going to vary depending on where you buy them and if you buy stictly OEM parts or aftermarket parts.

As for oil... There are as many brands or 2 Stroke oil as there are people buying it. I personally prefer Bel-Ray. If you can buy it at your local bike shop (Not Walmart) you should be ok no matter what brand you buy.

Get a shop manual for the bike you buy, it should give you the specs for the proper ratio to run.

If you plan on racing you may want to use a higher octane racing fuel. However, if you aren't racing, pump gas is fine.

I have run 87 in my YZ85 and saw no real performance problems. I really think it just depends on how much money you want to spend on gas.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Yamaha manuals are actually pretty good (the best I have seen and I have seen Honda, Kawasaki, KTM) in explaining the procedures and I certainly have not needed a shop manual with my YZ250 -00 and YZ450F -03.

KTM and Kawasaki are so bad that I had to read stuff on the web to perform basic maintenance on the KTM (valve adjustment etc.)

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
search the auction site for a top end kit, gaskets, piston, ring, cir clip, etc. Normally they will each as a whole, complete gasket kit, complete top end kit. I got my buddies rm125 top end fully rebuilt for about $50 in parts and did it myself in about an hour or so. Like stated def get a manual, it will save you a lot of trouble

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Most of the questions that you are asking are very simple, basic questions that have been answered here 100's of times. Before you ask a question like "What oil/ratio/gas should I use?" do a search. In that example, you'd search for "premix" "oil ratio" "octane" "premix ratio". Then, and only then, after you still have questions, make a new thread with a specific question. You'll get many more replies if we know you've already tried to help yourself. Help us help you. Do your part, and you'll find more info than you ever thought possible on premix ratios, oil brands, and race/pump fuel. There are many good threads on all of the above already on this site.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
i have a yamaha yz 125 also. for oil i use Yamalube, i think thats what its called. as for the oil ratio, get the manual to be certain, but i use 32:1 wich is 4oz of oil for every gallon, works fine in my bike. unless you are racing, i dont think you will need high octane fuel. like INDYyz85 said, regular unleaded pump gas is fine. hope this helped.
-Tony

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
isnt yamalube like $132.00 a pint?!?!?!? is so, im definetly not using that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom